New fish new problem?

Reaction score
Recently bought a new 6" orange and blue butterfly koi. I Introduced it to my new pond and it constantly swims its way into the skimmer basket. I dump it out and back in there again so on and so on. I put him in my old pond which is now empty all my fish are in the bigger pond. He hides under a plastic log i have over a diffuser. Is it possible its a shy koi? Its seems perfectly healthy nothing on its body swims fine. Any suggestions on where i go from here?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome. Not sure why he keeps going in the skimmer maybe just curious or does not want to be in the open, does he get along with the other fish? Every once and a while several of my fish will swim in there, had 3 of them in there the other day got them out and that evening another one was in there.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Butterfly koi can be shy when first inroduced. I have a piece of 4' long 8 inch round drainage pipe under my bridge for the fish to use for hiding. It's not uncommon for the first week or so for the new butterflies to stay very close to it or the raised island in the middle of the pond. as for the skimmer, My skimmer is designed where it keeps water in the basket so I have fish swim in and out all the time, can't tell you how many times I thought my Kumonryu was missing only to find him just hiding out in the skimmer. If your skimmer is not designed in this way they make scrubber brushes that can be placed just inside or just outside the skimmer door that will help keep the fish out. These same scrubbers are used for spawning mops and for detrius removal on more advanced filters.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What is the purpose of the skimmer door anyway to keep the debris in once it enters? As long as you have your pump on it will always be pulling the stuff in into the skimmer so couldn't you just put a rock or small brick on the skimmer door to keep it down so any fish that do get in could get out? Think I might try this.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
taherrmann4 said:
What is the purpose of the skimmer door anyway to keep the debris in once it enters? As long as you have your pump on it will always be pulling the stuff in into the skimmer so couldn't you just put a rock or small brick on the skimmer door to keep it down so any fish that do get in could get out? Think I might try this.

In some systems it's used for back flushing the system. The door is shut and the bottom drain of the box is opened up to backwash the system. It can be fixed all the way open. I had a pin break off on my Savio compact door. Savio told me to just remove the door with my application. I chose to fix the darn thing with epoxy since they would not warranty it. It's ashamed they wouldn't fix their goof ups. They have a great system but I've had two of their parts break and neither the retailer nor Savio directly would warranty either issue. Brand new unit and they wanted me to use it without the door. HMMM, :-( The pin on the Weir door was broken by the way when the unit arrived, The handle to the Skimmer pre-filter broke within a week, Other than that the system is great. The door stays down on my unit far enough as a 12" koi can swim in and out freely into the catch basket. I've caught fish, turtles, snakes, frogs, and even a mole in there, ALL alive!!! Only thing I ever found dead in it was a fish I knew wasn't doing well for a few days before. I also installed a spot light that directs down into the skimmer box. I want to see what's in that thing before I stick my hands in there!!!! Especially at night which is when I like to be out there the most.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi scooter, Welcome and good luck with your shy koi. Is your pond in ground or on a rooftop? I would assume there is not a lot of land to build ponds in nyc other than Central Park!

Reaction score
actually staten island ny, but my pond is half in the ground n half out, but the koi advice seems logical figured maybe it was curious but that many times is overkill and it swims into the basket cant go anywhere else just figured cant be good staying in there thanks again

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Scooter, I agree with you, If it was a fish that had been in the pond for a while and started swimming in and out of the skimmer it would be one thing but a shy butterfly that has just been introduced would concern me also. Is it the only koi in the pond? They seem to get more comfortable when there are other koi present, and they can be standard or butterfly or even large comets and shubunkins, just fish to swim with. the larger koi get the more they will wonder off from the school, but as young they feel more comfortable in groups. I'll think on this some and see if i can think of something else but in the mean time keep an eye on it, The skimmer can cause damage and stress the fish so be sure it's staying healthy watch the fins for blood streaks and fungus, and watch and see if he can leave on his own, if not maybe reduce the water flow rate going thru the skimmer for a short period of time or find a something that the water can pass thru but the fish can't to put over the skimmer door, Ex. Egg crating like what they use in DYI filters???

Reaction score
at first there were just the 2 new ones then I swapped my other koi over from my old pond to the new one figuring maybe those 2 just didnt get along, but same thing with the the new fish. Gonna wait a few days and watch it in my old smaller pond but it likes to hide in there too. thanks again and I'm glad i found such a good forum for koi lovers been on other forums with not so much luck.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put in a hayward pool skimmer fishin, it has a 15 inch weir and built like a tank. I can also attach a swimming pool hose to it and suck the bottom of the pond if i want to lol.

We put in a y after the pump to pump the water out of the pond if i want to do a good cleaning of the bottom using the skimmer. (two leaf baskets before the pump to protect it)

Ask a Question