New fish not eating. Water to cold?

Reaction score
So the fish I got were in a greenhouse where the water was probably warmer and my water is still very cold. I have seen them eat once. They may have eaten other times but I expected them to be hungry and want to eat every day. Is it still too early as the water doesn’t get much sun so it is still cold. Im going to cut a big branch down to allow some more morning sun hit the pond. They come up at night but run when I turn on the light. They were much more playfull the first day I got them so I don’t know. I can tell they are still healthy, I think, but just not wanting to play. But just curious as im a newb.
Thanks

clm

Reaction score
If these are new fish to you, then they're going to take some time to feel safe. How big are they? The smaller the koi, the more fearful they are. You may find they actually come up to eat when you're not there. Likewise you said they came from a greenhouse to your colder water.....they will need time to adjust.
Mine were eating well at 57 degrees this spring, but that was after spending a couple of months at less than 38 with no food and are not new to me either.

clm

Reaction score
Ya,
They are actually eating now that I made something to hold the food. Cut the center out of a circular clear tuparaware top, the ones that chinese food plases use with the black bottoms. Works great and I see it was full (~20-30 peices of food) all day but when I checked it at night it was empty, so put some more in and checked again and empty again so thats good. Plus the water should warm up good now that the pond will get some sun from the branches I cut.
Thanks.

Reaction score
I'm a newbie too...

My fish didn't seem to eat the first week and were hiding out...I suspect they were waiting for me "not to look!" because they are visibly growing so they must have eaten something. I was even skimming the food out of the pond after leaving them to eat for a while and not seeing them eat. They wanted it to eat from the bottom. Now they are quite brave and seem to be looking to be fed, and seem to be gaining weight after a few weeks now. My water temp is in the low 60's F.

Good Luck!

Steph

Ask a Question