New fish. Quarantine

Reaction score
When buying new goldfish do you quarantine them and if so for how long? What if any treatments do you do?

I've searched online and there is so much conflicting info on the subject that it is hard to know what to do. Plus you often don't know how old and outdated some of the info may be on the web.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It is vitally important that you should quarentine all fish for a four week period before they go in with your existing population, this give you chance to treat any problems your fish might have parasite wise etc.
Just because you cant see anything untoward doesnt mean its not there.
What you dont want is to introduce a new fish into the general pupulation then have the entire tank go down with something that may even bring about the deaths of some of your fish.
We have a rule of thumb when buying koi , if there is so much as a split fin or sick koi in the vat that they are in then we simply dont buy, this way we reduce the risk of any infections but our koi still have to go through QT.
Observation is a key tool to use when in QT, are they swimming right, are they eating well, are their fins clamped, are the refusing to eat, all can indicate that somethng is not right with them.
If you have a microscope and know how to give your fish a scrape then do so because this is a very powerful tool that you can use to positively identify a parasite , "with that identification you can bring the correct treatments into play rather than use a hit and miss approach",we use one ourselves use one,
Knowing what your looking for and how to treat is part and parcel of fish keeping , there are some very good fish health books out there.
Reading them gives you a very good working knowledge and you cant go wrong it gives you a head start over the parasite were often than not speed of treatment is the essesnce .

Buy this book The Interpet Manual of fish health revised ISBN 1842860674, avialable now on Amazon

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Dave.

In that four week period (whew that sounds long) do you treat for anything or just observe them.
Observation is your key tool
A good book for fancy goldfish you could buy is Fancy Goldfish "A complete Guide To Care and Collecting by Dr Erik Johnson DVM ISBN 1859749577 it is a very good book again available on Amazon I added another good book to my post above

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
archimedes; I believe you've got it! We all know we should do it, BUT...
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I get the feeling that many people don't quarantine their new fish but are hesitant to admit it openly cause they know they should be quarantining.

Hey... have you been spying on my pond!?! NOT ADMITTING ANYTHING!

But seriously... if you use a trusted source for fish, is it never safe to assume they've already been quarantined? If you are adding one new fish to the mix I can see that quarantine would be practical and wise. But many folks buy a half dozen at a time, especially with a new pond... how would I quarantine multiple fish? Doesn't quarantine assume they are all separate from one another?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I haven't added any new fish for a few years, but didn't quarantine them when I did. I bought them all ( five ) from the same fish hatchery, where they pull them from their mud ponds and treat in aerated vats prior to selling. Guess I've been lucky...I'd be afraid to add nay now.

Reaction score
if there is so much as a split fin or sick koi in the vat that they are in then we simply dont buy,

Dave

Dave, I wish you could see where I have to buy fish from. You'd have no fish at all if you bought by that rule here.

I've been lucky to not have any infections, although quite a few fish have died. I'm done buying now, but if I did I would quarantine for sure! Hoping my fish will reproduce (and maybe I can sell a few myself - I know they would be healthier and acclimatized).

Reaction score
I've taken a very informal poll of some local garden pond keepers (not koi keepers) and when I ask "did you quarantine your fish" the response I got most often was a very sheepish look, followed by numerous reasons why, in their special circumstance, it wasn't necessary.

No judgment here at all. I just find it curious that people don't seem to want to admit it openly. I'm new to the hobby and still trying to find my way.

I probably will set up some sort of holding tank to observe any new fish for a period of time before adding them to the pond. But I know the temptation to give in to impatience is going to be hard to overcome.

Plus I travel a lot right now and being home continuously to monitor the holding tank is going to be difficult. The main pond is somewhat self sufficient for short periods of time. We will see.

I'd be curious to see how other people have handled this issue.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's always much easier (and much less expensive) to treat a fish (if needed) before they get into the pond rather than after ;) Not to mention having to treat the pond which is going to take much more medication than a holding/quarantine tank.

Unfortunately many of us have learned the hard way by not quarantining new fish. I would never add a fish to my pond or tank before keeping it in quarantine and at the very least observing it for two weeks. In the past I lost several fancy goldfish due to not doing a quarantine because the new fish "looked okay" to me. Some of my favorite fish died because of it.

It's not a bad idea to treat any new goldfish for parasites (I use a broad spectrum antiparasitic medication) before adding them to your pond (at least that's what I do) even if they are not showing signs of infection.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use a product called Quick Cure (formaldehyde & malachite green)

I dose as such: Day 1 I do a water change, remove any carbon and dose with medication (shake bottle well and dose 1 drop per gallon of water)

Day 2 I do a water change

Day 3 I dose with medication

Day 4 I do a water change

Day 5 I dose with medication

Day 6 I do a large water change and add fresh carbon to remove
any remaining medication

During treatment I keep lights off as it is supposed to make the malachite green inactive.

This is something I have done many times over the years and I have yet to kill a fish by treating with this medication. It will stain your skin so be careful not to get it on you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some people are set with a certain time frame be it 2 weeks or 4 weeks (4 seems a bit long to me) I normally will bring a new fish home and let it adjust for a few days and then do the quick cure treatment. Once I get to that point if they look and act normal then they can go into a tank or pond with my other fish.

Ask a Question