New fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hey everyone! So I have put new catfish, red ear sunfish, hybrid bluegill and fathead minnows. I’ve been throwing floating fish food in now every other day maybe a few handfuls. The only fish I see come up are the minnows??? Can anyone enlighten me on this.? They aren’t floating around so I assume they are still there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well Martin, it could be all sorts of reasons. How many gallons is your pond? Is the pond cycled? What type of filtration do you have? Have you tested the water? If not, you should do so immediately. How many and what size catfish etc. did you put into the pond? Did you put them in all at once or over say, a month or so? Feeding? Well, this time of year, you need to reduce food and alter the type of food unless you live in really warm climate like Key West or San Diego. Missing fish is a major concern. Are they missing because of predation or suffering on the bottom due to poor water conditions or worse, dead?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
or maybe they're not fond of the flavor you're throwing and are waiting for something better!

;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Martin,
If it's any consolation, when I put my first fish in a new pond earlier this year, I didn't see any of them for about 2 weeks then one morning they all came up for food together. I was convinced they were dead

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fish can disappear so easily. I had all mine disappear more than once.

Ask a Question