New forum member - advice required please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just joined this forum as I'm in the process of buying a pond for my garden and I'd like some advice as to what sort of pump and anything else I'd need please. I am in a wheelchair and so I'm planning on buying a Raised Hexagon Garden Fishpond with Viewing Windows which I have found online, the main reason being I will be able to see the fish when I'm indoors. I don't have any outside electrical sockets so to keep the costs down as much as possible I'd prefer to have a solar powered pump and therefore would very much appreciate any advice anyone on here can give me as to which one to go for and also let me know anything else I need to go with it. I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to this sort of thing so don't really have any clue as to where to start and I want to make sure I don't end up buying the wrong things.

Thank you in advance.

Owen Hamilton

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and the best thing you did is come to this forum to get help we love to help but we don't dig .First thing what is your budget for the set up you want and what size is the raised pond and how big is it and are you going to have fish and what is your weather like .Meaning protecting it from freezing or over heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the warm welcome, I posted on another forum first and got quite a hostile response. Am I allowed to post links to other websites on here? If so I'll post a link to the pond I'm going to buy. I live in the south of England, I'm having my lawn removed and replaced with paving slabs and then will put the pond on the patio where I can watch the fish through my patio windows, the pond I am buying is hexagonal, made of wood with 2 perspex viewing windows, measuring 166cm x 144cm x 51 cm.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If it's an above-ground unit (about 18" deep) and you live in England, how are you planning on keeping it from freezing solid in the Winter?

As to the link, sure......go ahead an post it.

Want me to go over to the "hostile" forum and kick some ass for you?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I believe you can get heaters but as I said in my original post, I'm a complete novice when it comes to this so am happy for any advice people can give me.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can buy heaters and you can wrap it in insulation just for the winter also .We like to help but we like it better when people have an idea of what they want .How cold are your coldest temps in the winter

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Though I don't know what the other forum is, I understand completely how you felt -- and glad you found us.

Ask a Question