New frog in town .....Phoooey

Reaction score
A few days ago I noticed a rather large bull frog in my big pond.... THEN I notice him in the little pond...
TODAY I noticed my Fancy Tail Goldies are gone :cry: could he have eaten them?!?
I WAS excited to have frogies in my ponds this year...now im not so sure :angry:
If he did eat them how do i catch him and move him Awaaaay from my babies?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read if they can catch a fish they will eat it, so maybe.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
if its small enough to fit in their mouth, they will eat it. They eat birds, fish, small turtles, other frogs... I relocate any bullfrogs found near my pond, any other frogs can stay, but i don't want my fish disappearing.

Reaction score
Initially I did not want any Bullfrog Tadpoles in my pond. I worried about my fish, but the pet shop had some that needed a home and I added them to my pond, since nothing other than fish were in it. It was neat watching them sun themselves and turn into Bull Frogs. Out of 7 Bull Frog Tadpoles, we only have one male that we think is one of the original 7. I also rescued a female Bull Frog from the Goodwill Store Front a couple months ago. With all the spawning in my pond, I figure the Bull Frogs may be able to keep the goldfish population in check. I also have a Green Frog or 2 that jump between the pond and 2 kiddy pools. So far, they seem to all get along together and I hope it stays that way. I still have fry though! :) It is quite neat in the Spring when temps are not that high, to have my bedroom windows opened and early in the morning hear "Bully" hrummm hrumm from the pond! :LOL: Kind of hard to see them both, but Bully is on the triangular float towards the front and GW is on the colorful float, circular white foam and pretty fabby. The water lettuce has taken over the pons and has since been pulled out, numerous times. ;)

:goldfish:

Attachments

• DSCF5676.JPG
    DSCF5676.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 238
Reaction score
sorry Wendy, yep i have heard and read the same that bullies will eat what can fit in their mouth if they can catch it... i have a large one but had been fortunate the smaller koi i had bought were not eaten, am guessing they do help keep population down as spawning is an ongoing thing and i don't want too many fry as i will/would have to get a larger filter or build a bog to make sure water stays in the safe range...wow ponder that's a lot of lettuce, envious of everyone's plants multiplying..my koi and even goldies now will munch on roots(albeit not always sure if hungry, eating eggs or just doing what the koi do) me thinks i will have to try and figure something for next season

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
holy water lettuce .I have wondered about water lettuce as I think the reason it dies is that it does not like light on it's roots at all .Do they ever clog your pump with there roots .

This pick was a couple of days ago and now have 30 of them ,but put them in the pond they turn yellow

Reaction score
Yah I love to hear the frogs sing, and now I have two big bullies! lol. All in all between the wo ponds, there are around 10-15 bull frogs and tons of tree frogs around our pool. My six ur old loves to watch them at night with a flashlight :) Syill a bummer he ate the little ones :( Guessill just have to het More fishies :>

Ask a Question