New from Baltimore, Maryland

Reaction score
Hello All,

We just bought a house with an acre of land and large pond. It's lovely (photo attached) but it hasn't been maintained in a while. I am a newbie and could use some advice: How do I deal with the murky green water? The goldfish that are there now are surviving, aparently, but I'm assuming I have an overgrowth of algae. Advice?

Thanks,

JK

Attachments

• Pond.png
    Pond.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 258

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh how big is the pond oops sorry welcome and this way we can maybe help you .Is it a natural pond or liner and does it have a filter or pump .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomehu9.gif
jebias2001
I use 100% clay kitty litter for the string algae and quilt batting in a basket under my falls to catch the free floating kind. Leave the nice short..........I call it carpet algae on the sides and bottom tho.

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the speedy replies. This is a friendly site! My pond is manmade and has a liner. It's 32" x 12 ft. I'm guessing 20,000 gallons but not sure. It has a pump, filter, and falls. I appreciate all advice. The algae bloom is dense. The UV light seems like the way to go but seems very pricey. Probably worth it though. Added some mature goldfish two days ago and they are OK so far. Will send pics as I progress!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh uv's are not cheap and never had one myself as some say the work some say they don't .for that sized pond it may be to expensive to try and find out it doesn't work .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
With that big of a pond you would prolly need a giant barrel of quilt batting to catch all those algae particles! And you would have to clean out and put it back in a lot before it would clear I would imagine. I wonder if some kind of pond coagulating stuff would clump it up so it would cling to the quilt batting more easily? I think CE on here uses some kind of stuff like that. Maybe she will see this and chime in.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pond calculator on eastern koi.com may help .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52891]

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
welcome to the forum. Hard to tell but I guess you have your pump running, if so how long has it been running? Do you currently have a filter of some sort? Do you know if it has been green for a while or has it been just recently?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frogswelcomev.gif
to our group! glad to see another marylander

Reaction score
welcome

jebias2001

did previous homeowners tell you anything about the pond? care? depth? how to use pump and filters? supplies left behind? can see it's a large pond, but is it or do you think it will be in direct sunlight most of the day or are there large trees that will shade it? did pump run year around or did you just turn on recently?

Ask a Question