New from Daytona Beach

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Michael from Daytona, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Michael from Daytona

Michael from Daytona

Hi, folks.

My name is Mike. I recently moved from Traverse City, Michigan to Daytona Beach, Florida. My wife and I were visiting my cousins down here last October and she loved the ocean so much she asked me if we could live here. I've been retired for a few years and so I thought, "Why not?" Although I've lived in T.C. for 40 years after growing up in downtown Detroit, and loved being near the lakes, I have to say that winters are pretty relentless up north. All my family are gone now, except for cousins, nieces and nephews, several of whom have been in Daytona their entire lives. I've come down to visit fairly frequently over the last few years since my mom died over in Sarasota, so coming to live in Daytona Beach has not exactly been a shot in the dark.

To try to keep it short, we bought an old house beachside that has a large tiled European style courtyard. The previous owners lived here more than 30 years and landscaped it nicely, including the building of two adjoining concrete-and-tile koi ponds, each about 2-1/2 feet deep, connected by a little stream and waterfalls. Probably 10 years ago they gave up on the ponds when local wading birds ate their investment. Over time, the ponds filled in with water plants and sludge. Now I've devoted the last four months to digging out the ponds and rehabilitating them. It's been interesting to see how the pond ecology has evolved prior to and since putting the fish in: First there was a plague of local frogs/tadpoles. Then came the dragonflies and their nymphs. Then came a green algae bloom. I began adding plants. First I put in water cabbage, and then water lilies. Fresh water seaweed came totally on its own. To try and clear the water, I put in some barley bales (pictured) as well as algicide and sludge destroyer. I think the barley has worked the best, and the water cabbage's floating root systems have also acted well as filters. As the water cleared, I became concerned that predators might see the fish and so I've stopped trying to make it any easier for them to be seen. There is plenty of overhanging vegetation, and the lilies and water cabbage also provide cover.
    pond1.jpg

I should probably get to the reason why I've joined this discussion group. There is a lot I need to learn about water conditions and how to manage them. It gets close to 100 degrees Fahrenheit through the summers in Daytona and it's difficult to imagine the fish having to cope with such high water temperatures. The heat also causes a lot of water loss due to evaporation and my only source of additional water is from the city's treated system. I know there are chemicals available to neutralize tap water, but I would like to discuss the best ways of treating the ponds over time so as to minimize stress on the fish.

Thanks, everyone. I will spend some time now reading through other members' introductions to get a feel for the group.

Michael from Daytona, Aug 10, 2017
    Somethin' Fishy, Tula, j.w and 2 others like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Michael from Daytona

sissy sissy

welcome and please do not use algaecides they are called suicide bombs that kill fish other other creatures in the pond .Barley is better liquid form and good barley will be in a darker bottle and barley with peat is better .

sissy, Aug 10, 2017
    DutchMuch likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Michael from Daytona

DutchMuch Lord Of The Aquascapes!

ouch....!
    Algaecide contains high levels of copper, killing snails and other inverts. Basically killing everything but fish & plants.
    Which isn't good because it can cause a re cycle.

DutchMuch, Aug 10, 2017
  4. Michael from Daytona

For this use DE chlorinator, removes heavy metals and chlorine.

DutchMuch, Aug 10, 2017
  5. Michael from Daytona

Nyboy

Welcome Love the area my parents where snowbirds had a small house in Ormond by the sea. Miss them and miss beach house. Have you been to the Rockfeller house in ormond ( open to public) I have not been there in years but think I remember small Koi pond on grounds.

Nyboy, Aug 10, 2017
  6. Michael from Daytona

MoonShadows The Jam Man

t3cae98_Welcome_Poolforum.gif

LOVE Daytona Beach. We used to vacation there. Haven't been back in many moons. I envy you! LOL

MoonShadows, Aug 10, 2017
  7. Michael from Daytona

j.w I Love my Goldies

j.w, Aug 10, 2017
  8. Michael from Daytona

Tula

Welcome :) My folks have a place on Grand Traverse Bay, in Eastport, about 30 miles north of TC. I used to think I'd retire there, but as I've aged, the winters seem less appealing :) LOL

Tula, Aug 10, 2017
  9. Michael from Daytona

sissy sissy

I love VA less crime and less taxes and cheaper to live all around .Still can't get used to everyone that waves to you here .They wave to everyone .

sissy, Aug 11, 2017
  10. Michael from Daytona

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome to our group! My hubby loves Florida, but only to visit we still like the north.

addy1, Aug 11, 2017
    Nyboy likes this.
  11. Michael from Daytona

Same for any Country like area lol!

DutchMuch, Aug 11, 2017
  12. Michael from Daytona

lapisazul17

Welcome to the forum!

lapisazul17, Aug 11, 2017
  13. Michael from Daytona

sissy sissy

I remember when I first moved here and got lost and circled a around 3 times by a guy mowing his grass and he waved each time .:LOL:I couldn't take heat all year round and the bugs that come with it .Bad enough here and I love a little snow .I think my body would go into shock with out it .Don't ask me in the winter though ;)

sissy, Aug 11, 2017
    j.w likes this.
  14. Michael from Daytona

Gemma

Welcome to the Forum! :)

Gemma, Aug 11, 2017
  15. Michael from Daytona

Gemma

I think once you disarm the chlorine, the next best thing would be plenty of plants and even more patience...
    but just so you know, I have used a mild dose of Algaefix, with no harm to my fish! (I'm so glad we don't have a "thumb down":ROFLMAO:)

Gemma, Aug 11, 2017
  16. Michael from Daytona

sissy sissy

Florida has been getting flooding rains so could be why he has not been back on .I could never take the storms down there .I was watching the weather channel and it has been bad .They called for rain here but nothing so far

sissy, Aug 11, 2017
  17. Michael from Daytona

Michael from Daytona

Thanks, Sissy. Well I actually did use an algicide in the first heavy bloom of green algae but since it did not seem to congeal and drop the algae as it claimed, I abandoned it after a single dose. There were no fish in the pond at that point. However, there were thousands of tadpoles, water striders, dragonfly nymphs, etc., and they seemed to survive the suicide bomb. I switched to barley bales at the suggestion of a friend, and then began adding water-filtering plants (water cabbage and water lilies) and then added some goldfish while the water was still pretty murky. I like where the water is now in terms of clarity. My only problem is evaporation and water replacement. I need a recommendation as to how best to reintroduce water and chlorine/ammonia neutralizing agents.

Michael from Daytona, Aug 13, 2017
  18. Michael from Daytona

Chlorine: Dechlorinator

Ammonia: Nitrifying bacteria.

DutchMuch, Aug 13, 2017
  19. Michael from Daytona

Michael from Daytona

I get that, DutchMuch, thanks. Can I put dechlorinator in before adding tap water, or just after? My ponds total 1,000 gallons and if it doesn't rain I will want to put water back in after losing about 100 gals to evaporation.

Michael from Daytona, Aug 13, 2017
  20. Michael from Daytona

I would do it after.

DutchMuch, Aug 13, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question