New from Michigan

Reaction score
Hello all...

I am a new member to the forum. I am a Michigan Master Gardener with a 16 x 20 ft backyard pond that I have had for approx. 6 or so years. I have many fish, mostly goldfish but one or two koi. I have 3 green frogs and 2 red eared slider turtles that live in my pond year round. I have many gardens but I enjoy my garden pond the best. I found this forum because I was looking to add driftwood to my pond and wanted to see if it was safe to do so. I came across a thread about it on this forum and decided to join.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome aboard. The driftwood question has been discussed at length, I am one of the ones that have a very small amount that is actually in the water (about 12" in length and 3" in diameter). With that said I have a lot around my pond on the rocks by the falls going over the pond and above the creek, I think it adds a little realism to the whole idea that the pond is natural. I had more in the pond a few years ago but pulled it out after it became so waterlogged that it wanted to sink to the bottom. I get my driftwood down by the river where it has already been debarked and is super lite weight usually.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome jmg 4991 and hope you can give us info on gardening also .I hope you post pics of your yarden and pond .I call it a yard en because it is part yard and garden ,I think the name fits better

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate the info. on the diftwood. I normally would just throw it in and not worry about it, but this year our winter was really harsh and I lost a lot of my fish so I am very hesitant to do anything that would create any stress but I would like a big piece of wood for my turtles. Thanks again for the info. I was thinking about taking a piece from the beach that has been sitting for quite a while. I would think all the dangerous stuff if any would be gone by now. I am also going for the realistic look, I don't think I would be happy with a fake piece.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome

Welcome-Daisy-Bug.gif

Glad you joined! I have a garden, that just happens to have a pond.............or is it that I added a pond and the garden followed.

Not a master gardener at all, just enjoy plants.

I would think if the wood has been on the beach for quite a while it should be ok. They add salt to ponds to help the fish (not sure if it is a salt water beach or not.
But if concerned just soak it a little. Make sure there are no critters on it that might hurt your fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my brother -in -law lives in Flat Rock Michigan and he said heating bills and snow got him this past winter.I live in VA and the winters have been the worse I have seen for 2 years now and hope this winter is milder .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
bugwelcome1.gif
jmg4991
There is a lot of driftwood that rolls up on our Washington beaches and much of it is really nice. I've collected some for the yard but never have put any in the pond. I'm thinking yours prolly comes from one of your big lakes around Michigan?

Ask a Question