New from RI

Reaction score
Hi everyone...my name is nate and im from Johnston, RI. I did a little bit of research and decided I wanted to have a backyard water garden. My wife and I bought our house in December of 2012 and the guy we bought it off of want not too much of a landscaper, so we decided we needed to add something to beef up the property. I started this project about 2 weeks ago and completed the hole, added stone and set up all the plumbing in a week working 8-10 hours a day on the project. I think the project came out pretty good. I got most of my stone for free and got a good deal on a pond kit. My electrical work is going in this weekend, so I am at the point where I want to landscape around the pond, fill the pond and maybe put some aquatic plants in. I have a ton of questions and I figured this would be the right place to have them answed.

Nate

Attachments

• 20130812_115440.jpg
    20130812_115440.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 20130812_145436.jpg
    20130812_145436.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 20130814_111042.jpg
    20130814_111042.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 200
  • 20130817_120943.jpg
    20130817_120943.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 185
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome!

wow, I like the pond already :) I love rocks bottom pond but it could mean harder work as the muck will collect in between the rocks. I have rocks in part of my pond and I can see the differece, where there's no rocks, there's little to no muck :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! Are you planning to have fish or just plants? You don't say how deep it is, but if you are going to keep fish, and plan to leave them outside year-round, the depth is a big factor.

I LOVE those rocks, BTW! Wishing we had freebie rocks like that around here, but living in the south, by the time the "geology" gets down here, it's turned into silt..... :(

Reaction score
I've been on the fence about using the small riverrock...It does look nice, but I am concerned a little about the muck, How often would the muck need to be cleaned if I do leave the rocks in?

Welcome!

wow, I like the pond already :) I love rocks bottom pond but it could mean harder work as the muck will collect in between the rocks. I have rocks in part of my pond and I can see the differece, where there's no rocks, there's little to no muck :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great job but love the rocks in the bottom now but darn things get covered in muck so fast you don't see them and they are hard to clean .I wish there was a simple and safe way to keep them like that .I could not afford a guy to come in and clean everything .Plus would be scared for my fish .Welcome and great job .Oh by the way how deep and how big .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would think it would depend on pond ,filters and amount of fish and how much you feed fish .Shade and sun and blown in junk will have to factor in it also .Maybe if you over filter it may help longer .

Reaction score
The pond is approximately 8x11 with a max depth of 26 inches....My goal is to incorporate some nice aquatic plants and some goldfish/shubunkin to start so I can get used to maitaining the water quality ... I really wanted to go deeper so I could have some Koi but I kinda limited myself with the kit I bought. The guy I bought the kit off of gave me a deal I couldnt pass up... I will most likely expand the pond at some point once I learn a bit more. I am just excited to get the project finished..or at least ready for plants. As for filtration, I just have the basic aquascape bio falls filter with pump and skimmer basket. I was thinking about getting a UV system but really dont want to have an inline system connected into the biofalls line nor do I have spare cash right now for it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can make friends with your neighbors and maybe get free plants or have a pond plant party every one brings a plant for landscaping your pond .A few pizza's and something to drink and you would be amazed what friends will bring .Tell them you need hardy surrounding plants and plants that will grow in wet conditions .My second house I had a plant party open house and even invited the nieghbors by asking them .I had an acre and nothing

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have uv's that just sit in the pond .I saw them on e-bay and at a couple of stores when i googled them just to see how uv 's work .Don't have one myself not sure if the just kill bad stuff .I put one on my new filter system I put in my house and it states on it that it kills good and bad bacteria .I am from NJ and moved here around 10 years ago to retire .

Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea...my neighbor has a few black/purple iris that he would like to give away...I should talk to the lady down the street she has a huge flower garden...

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
That's a nice looking pond... That's how envisioned my pond at the beginning, but when it came to the build, I couldn't do that rock work, my pond had very steep sides and not practical to build. But my next pond will look like that! :)

I like the last rock ledge in the water fall and the one in the deep end of the pond... they look like good little hiding tunnels for the fishes!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The best thing about that is you meet your neighbors and if the plants make it for them they should be fine with you .I have well water and you will have to treat your water I am guessing .Maybe get rain barrels and catch free water :cheerful: Just filter it good and get your self a good water testing kit .I think most like me use API

Reaction score
sissy said:
The best thing about that is you meet your neighbors and if the plants make it for them they should be fine with you .I have well water and you will have to treat your water I am guessing .Maybe get rain barrels and catch free water :cheerful: Just filter it good and get your self a good water testing kit .I think most like me use API
Yeah I'm on public water so i will most likely have to treat...I eventually plan on setting up a rain barrel system so I can water the plants both around the pond and in the vegetable garden..I reapply appreciate all the advice.

slakker said:
That's a nice looking pond... That's how envisioned my pond at the beginning, but when it came to the build, I couldn't do that rock work, my pond had very steep sides and not practical to build. But my next pond will look like that! :)

I like the last rock ledge in the water fall and the one in the deep end of the pond... they look like good little hiding tunnels for the fishes!

thank you...I am satisfied with the way the project is coming along....I think I am hooked now, I really enjoyed putting this project together minus the digging. I want to build a nice little pond with a long stream at my parents house..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucaryan

Latest Threads