New Garden Pond help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could provide any advice on an issue I have with my garden pond?

I have recently moved into a house with an existing garden pond. It is around 8 feet long, 7 feet wide and around a foot deep. We have moved in to the property and are looking to spruce up the garden for the summer.

I have had garden ponds my whole life in my family and am excited to start my own journey. I however am a complete novice in this field and appear to have an issue with my pond.

When I first turned the power on to the pump and filtration system, there was a "pop" noise that came from the water pump. The water started flowing through and out the spout so I thought nothing more of it. However since this day we appear to be having a substantial amount of what I believe is green algae building up in the water.

As I have little knowledge in this field, I am guessing that the UV filter/bulb in the water pump may have blown? I am having to clean the surface algae every other day from the water, however it is now collecting on the bottom of the pond.

I have no idea what equipment is already setup so I have attached pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 132
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 95

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1586964198783.gif
@OJBails
I don't have any experience w/uv lights but you can grab that string algae out w/a clean toilet brush pretty easy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the more oxygen you add to the pond and plants ,the less algae .But if you have fish you want some algae because it protects your fish .Do you have a API water test kit

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

A good permanent solution to algae is plants! With your setup you could build a nice container bog on the side, send the pond water through it. The plants will suck the nutrients out of the water and therefore starve the algae.
There are a few here building real nice container bogs along the edge of their ponds.

I have a bog that is my only filter for my pond, full of plants, green water and algae can not survive.
bog5.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the more oxygen you add to the pond and plants ,the less algae .But if you have fish you want some algae because it protects your fish .Do you have a API water test kit

The Lilly plant is starting to grown now with the spring weather, however there is no other plants in the pond at the moment. Is it recommended to have a number of plants in the water?

Also I have no idea which type of UV Bulb/filter that would be required to be replaced (and how to check if it is broken). Looking at the badge, it appears to be a Oase pump and filter with a filtomatic part inside? (please see above pictures on original post).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to our group!

A good permanent solution to algae is plants! With your setup you could build a nice container bog on the side, send the pond water through it. The plants will suck the nutrients out of the water and therefore starve the algae.
There are a few here building real nice container bogs along the edge of their ponds.

I have a bog that is my only filter for my pond, full of plants, green water and algae can not survive. View attachment 127591

Thanks for your reply.

That looks like an impressive setup, however I do not have the time nor space for something like this and will most probably look at something more mechanical. I just need to know how to sort the UV bulb out I think.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I have no testing equipment at the moment, I think the UV Bulb in the pump may have gone. I am trying to find a replacement bulb but have no idea of the type or make/model of the filter in the original post. If i replace the bulb and add some plants (suggestions?) would this help with the algae?

Thanks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I read somewhere that UV lights do not get rid of string algae, only the tiny particles of the floating kind that gives the water a green look throughout. Looks to me like you have only string algae up in your photo and the rest of your water looks clear. You want to keep the carpet short type algae that grows on the sides and bottom of your pond as it is beneficial to your fish and water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read somewhere that UV lights do not get rid of string algae, only the tiny particles of the floating kind that gives the water a green look throughout. Looks to me like you have only string algae up in your photo and the rest of your water looks clear. You want to keep the carpet short type algae that grows on the sides and bottom of your pond as it is beneficial to your fish and water.

Yes i have seen that on the sides and bottom, but the stringy stuff is on the surface and is coming up form the bottom standing upright.

I'm going to look at plants to try and cover more of the surface of the pond. The Lilly is starting to flower and is almost at the surface. Then look at fixing the UV bulb/filter and introduce fish after it has bedded in.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Like I said tho, any string algae you will have to pull out by hand as it won't pass through the uv set up as that type of algae stays put pretty much.

Ask a Question