New garden Pond questions.

Reaction score
Hi my names Reggi and i just got this new 35gal preformed pond. Taking over my moms garden for her and she wanted a small pond. So I’m curious, I live in Louisiana and the weather is kinda crazy. We don’t deal with many freezes and it’s mostly hot. I’d like to put a few fish and plants in there just to give her something to watch and feed when she’s hanging out there. I don’t want a bunch of fish or nothing that will outgrow the pond or easily die. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 78B144C1-4BC6-45B5-83E7-4625160F0E34.jpeg
    78B144C1-4BC6-45B5-83E7-4625160F0E34.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 896EA246-C2FA-4B6F-B5D0-149B83D29398.jpeg
    896EA246-C2FA-4B6F-B5D0-149B83D29398.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That looks exactly like my quarantine tanks. They are 35 gallons. My suggestion is to drop in about 10-20 rosy red minnows. You can get them as feeders at a pet store. If you put in some piles of rocks, they will reproduce. They live 3-4 years but you'll have a sustaining population I'd think.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I see you joined way back in 2012 and sorry I never even gave you a welcome so here it goes:

1648485125253.gif
@R3GG1_TPL
That's a pretty tiny pond there but you could put in some little tropical fish being that your temps are so warm back there in Louisiana. Since it's so small tho you might need to provide shade for it or the you may end up w/one of the Cajun fish boils :cool:

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome and 4or5 African cichlids would do just fine and can also handle the warmer temperatures. Plus they come in all kinds of bright colors that would be easy to see. The temperatures get really hot in Louisiana in the summer so shade would be a must so not to cook them in the small pond. GOOD LUCK WITH PROJECT just a lil heads up African cichlids are aggressive but beautiful so no other smaller fish will live long with them

Reaction score
That looks exactly like my quarantine tanks. They are 35 gallons. My suggestion is to drop in about 10-20 rosy red minnows. You can get them as feeders at a pet store. If you put in some piles of rocks, they will reproduce. They live 3-4 years but you'll have a sustaining population I'd
I see you joined way back in 2012 and sorry I never even gave you a welcome so here it goes:

View attachment 149011@R3GG1_TPL
That's a pretty tiny pond there but you could put in some little tropical fish being that your temps are so warm back there in Louisiana. Since it's so small tho you might need to provide shade for it or the you may end up w/one of the Cajun fish boils :cool:
well thanks for the welcome haha I can’t say I’ve been active at all but I’m making a come back. I plan on having some shade for it when I build the cover. I was worried about the cold more then heat. But I’ll surely make some shade for it.

Reaction score
Welcome and 4or5 African cichlids would do just fine and can also handle the warmer temperatures. Plus they come in all kinds of bright colors that would be easy to see. The temperatures get really hot in Louisiana in the summer so shade would be a must so not to cook them in the small pond. GOOD LUCK WITH PROJECT just a lil heads up African cichlids are aggressive but beautiful so no other smaller fish will live long with them
I love cichlids I used to have some in a 50 gal years and years ago. I used to feed them live ones and watch the chaos so I know how they get down with small fish. How do cichlids get in cold weather tho? Will I need to get a good heater?

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love cichlids I used to have some in a 50 gal years and years ago. I used to feed them live ones and watch the chaos so I know how they get down with small fish. How do cichlids get in cold weather tho? Will I need to get a good heater?
You will need a heater for winter months but if it does not freeze there much just get a large tank heater that should work

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
That preformed mold was my very first pond! I would recommend sinking the liner into the ground. It will provide good support so the shelfs don't cave out, and good insolation for both warm and cold days.

Ask a Question