New goldfish not eating?

Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me a goldfish a few days ago because it had outgrown its fish tank and had also eaten a couple of his tank mates.
My pond already has a mix of comets,shubumkins and yellow goldfish. 10 goldfish in total.Whenever i have added new fish to the pond in the past ive noticed they dont eat for a day or 2 but this new 1 hasnt taken food for 3days now.
On the plus side it has lots of energy and looks healthy enough.
Yesterday evening i watched it showering in the waterfall.It was coming to the surface and rolling on its side to let the waterfall run over its body.Im not sure this was a good thing or not.
Any help would be apreciated.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Stu; your new goldfish was just enjoying his newly expanded world. I wouldn't worry about him... he'll eat when he's hungry!
John

Reaction score
Cheers John. So far it does seem like a healthy fish and is swimming around all over the pond.
When i fed my fish today it did join the group and came to the surface.I thought for a moment it was going to take some food but it didnt actually take any.Atleast it is showing some interest in food now though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If they continue not to eat buy a bottle of seachem's Garlic extract and soak your pellets in this , then feed as normal they go nuts for garlic like cats go nuts with catnip.
One thing though you didnt mention Quarentining your fish . this is playing with fire QT them in future it'll heelp you avoid alot of blood sweat and tears .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.I will try the garlic flavouring idea.Im also going to try a different make of pellet.
Today it came up and touched a pellet with its nose and then swam away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It may well be they are unused to their new enviroment you never know but its best to be on the safe side isnt it.
The Garlic also helps deter parasites they dont like the taste .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Im going to try and get hold of some garlic flavouring today.Hopefully it will encourage it to take some food.
My wife suggested that it might be getting used to the climate.The house it came from was always very warm they always have the central heating on and the tank it lived in had a strip light which gives off heat aswell.
Weve had a lot of rain this last week that has kept the water tempreture in the pond down a bit.
She could have a point but yesterday was very warm and today looks like its going to be another scorcher.
I will let you know how the garlic does.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I totally understand that even though weve been koi keeping for 27 years now we have only been outside for 5 years, ours where dropped into a winter temperature of -10c = to 7c in the pond , we thought OMG this is surely going to kill them all .
They had spent 22yearsat 22-24c indoors , they weathered it very well indeed in he spring all where present and correct .
Sdaly in late spring one devloped a collapse of its immune system which we had to euthanize using MS222.
I called it and my koi health offical concurred

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Very glad to have been of assistance to you in getting your fish to eat

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question