New goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just finished my pond last fall and I just bought my first goldfish. The sign said I wasn't allowed to pick out my fish but the clerk was super nice and didn't give me any all silver ones. I got 10 beauties for just $2 total.

Question: they are only about 3/4". How long until I can see them without a pair of binoculars?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I did the same thing! I got feeders at Petsmart and the clerk was a teenager who thought chasing down the specific fish was a fun challenge! Amazingly, none of them died. They grew and reproduced. My largest fish were about 7 inches long before they got eaten by a heron! I have fish of several different sizes in there now - but they all started with teeny feeders!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did the same thing! I got feeders at Petsmart and the clerk was a teenager who thought chasing down the specific fish was a fun challenge! Amazingly, none of them died. They grew and reproduced. My largest fish were about 7 inches long before they got eaten by a heron! I have fish of several different sizes in there now - but they all started with teeny feeders!
My area is also prone to the dreaded neighborhood heron. That's why I went with the cheapies. I'm sure it is still a sad day to see them feed on your pond fish, but hopefully a bit less sad knowing I only spent $2.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My area is also prone to the dreaded neighborhood heron. That's why I went with the cheapies. I'm sure it is still a sad day to see them feed on your pond fish, but hopefully a bit less sad knowing I only spent $2.
Yes! That was my exact thinking. The wildlife pond in the backyard (in progress) will probably be an aquatic restaurant!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes! That was my exact thinking. The wildlife pond in the backyard (in progress) will probably be an aquatic restaurant!
There is another option. Build a beautiful pond and then cover it with a hideous net.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't be surprised if some of your picks change color and look nothing like the ones you chose. You may end up with some of those silver ones after all.

I did the same as you with my first fish and even named most of them. Since some look nothing like they used to, a few now have very inappropriate names.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just finished my pond last fall and I just bought my first goldfish. The sign said I wasn't allowed to pick out my fish but the clerk was super nice and didn't give me any all silver ones. I got 10 beauties for just $2 total.

Question: they are only about 3/4". How long until I can see them without a pair of binoculars?
You bought feeder goldfish .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I LOVE my feeder goldfish! they'll grow fast. How big is your pond? Feeding twice a day = nutrition = growth = probably babies next year. Feed what they'll eat in 5 minutes, don't let food accumulate on the top surface. (I net my pond, even if it isn't the best of looks.)

Ask a Question