New group member, and lots of fry;-)

Reaction score
Well, it looks like I joined this group last July, never posted, and lost the site LOL. On a research mission, and found the site again today;-)

We have a 6500 pond, connected to a 2500 gallon bog pond outside, and a 750 gallon quarantine pond in the basement.

Got some new fish with a questionable background (aka the persons power was shut off, so another party was placing some of the fish to reduce the load) and have them in the quarantine pond. Wouldn't you know it, they spawned in the quarantine pond:-( Had one spawning mop (yarn mop) in there, but hurriedly got in three more... of course we werent thinking, and LOTS went into the filters (behind the spawning mops LOL)... will come back to this LOL.

So the first "home"... the spawning mops went into a 20 gallon fish tank ... So much for infertile or molding eggs... I think they ALL hatched... Pulled the mops out of the tank today... Lost count around 100, and think that was about halfway through them...

Now the filter that was behind the spawning mops... yup, eggs across the tops of everything, up the walls, etc... Wasnt even thinking to shut off the filters. After the show was over, hubby started to clean the filter (and a 50% water change - basement smelled like a fish market - can only imagine what the ammonia levels would do if the water wasn't changed)... Low and behold,lots of eggs on/in the intake tube, the spray bar, and all through the filter media... He literally wiped eggs off, onto the filter media, and we threw the filter media into a 60" plastic kiddie pool. Eggs are supposed to be fragile, so thought most wouldnt make it... ya, about that... If what is swimming around in there is only a small percentile, well, thanking our lucky stars! For every 3" x 3" floor area of the pool, there are 20-30 babies, and the whole floor looks consistently covered with these little swimmers LOL.

The first thing I am trying to find out is the basics of culling! I sure as heck am not in a position to grow out a couple thousand (or more) babies... The obvious is in looking for deformities, but beyond that, I need help LOL.

Mom #1 is a Hana Shusui Doitsu... basically, and orange fish, with a black zipper of scales down her back, and a small blue patch on the top of her head...

Mom #2 (my Japanese is horrible) is an orange Asagi (looks a lot like Mom #1 in markings, without the blue LOL).

Dad #1 is a deep orange, almost red Asagi

Dad #2 is solid colored, either LIGHT orange or BRIGHT yellow. (husband and I cant agree LOL)

Dad #3 I dont know what to call him. His entire body is light blue, I would call him a "Blue Shusui" and has the Doitsu scales on his spine, but they are colored as his body, through shades of grey...

Dad #4 is the same as Dad #3, but has very little coloring to his Doitsu scales... Basically, the whole fish is powder blue.

I am hoping for babies the colors of the parents... and would prefer to be able to cull out (or give away) anything else... WHEN will they start getting their colors (any hint of color, I know some continue to change)... In the long run, I only want to keep maybe a half dozen or so LOL.

They only hatched Wednesday night through Friday morning, so just now everyone is "swimming"... In the 20 gallon tank (easy to see), of the 200ish in there, they are at this stage, all white, with a hint of yellow but I think this is just a normal hatchling color??? except for two, which look pretty blah brown...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Geri

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you going to be raising fish to sell then .Would love to see pics of your fish .I just have plain old every day fish i bought from a koi farm in NC .The most expensive one i bought was 7 dollars and that was 8 years ago

Reaction score
Well, I really wasnt planning on becoming a breeder. What spawns outside is mostly free food to the other fish, although it looks like we have several out there who just may make it this year. I have no clue what the babies outside are tho, they could be anything from koi, shubunkins or commets.. Will likely be fishing some of them out next spring. We did sell a bunch this spring via craigslist, but wasnt looking to make a career out of it.

All the babies in the house are koi. Will try to post what I have in the computer for pics, but they are not very good.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
when you go to post pics use the more reply options next to post .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
-welcomeback098-1.gif
Geri
Here is a link on a few of our forum members that went through a step by step process of raising their koi
There are more threads on this subject if you look in Koi Spawning too

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/1771-koi-spawn-in-southern-california/

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/6661-that-was-fast/page__st__15

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/9003-250-showa-koi-fry/

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/8906-koi-eggs-laid-monday-april/

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/9522-2012-kohaku-sanke-japaneese-koi-spawning-in-new-orleans/

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome back, Hoping to see progression pics as they develope. Only two darkies is a great sign. Don't get rid of those two to fast. they may turn out to be something but usually they are some of the first after deformities that most people cull. I'm a sucker for any doitsu, Don't have any Shusui or Asagi but only because I haven't found one that has the right mix of blue and orange that I want yet.

Reaction score
Will try to post some pics in a little bit... totally miscalled some of their colors (had fish color names confused between different fish LOL)

Reaction score
The Hana is in the middle of the pic, she is one of the moms... the white blotch on her head is blue... the other 2, are two of the dads...

parents.jpg

Reaction score
The white looking guy is a consistent soft blue and is another dad... I think he is a doitsu with a few extra scales on his sides???

parents2.jpg

Reaction score
Hopefully this video works (click on the pic)... all the fish are just pond quality, but the video shows them much better than the pics... So that i dont screw up the names again, just look for the "yellow fish" (dad), the largest orange fish (another dad), two light blue fish (dads) and two small orange fish (moms)...

Reaction score
welcome and welcome back Geri... link appears to be working as well... and wow on all the babies and of course surprise, surprise...lol i have a mixed pond as well of koi and goldies and they keep spawning, kinda like seeing new babies and kinda wish they would stop....it's times like this that you wish you could just call some people and have them come over and get some instead of culling or selling... good luck with the rearing, if i lived closer i'd consider taking a few off your hands

Reaction score
These guys were spawned in the quarantine pond, but apparently, there is just as much or more going on outside... found a "school" of about 30 that are well over an inch yesterday with little barbels started, or I think, so thinking they are not gold fish (almost half of them are ugly blah brown)... hubby found a tiny hatchling yesterday as well... and it seems like every other day there is "foam" on the water... Will be interesting to see what we end up with. Just moved all the babies from the fish tank to the kiddie pool with the rest of their hatchmates, so freed up the fish tank for hubby to catch some of the outside babies while they are still hanging near the rocks... It will be a lot easier to catch them now than later! When he does, will post a pic of one of the ugly brown ones so before I cull them, someone with more experience can confirm they are just what I think they are... UGLY... LOL.

Ask a Question