New Guests

Reaction score
I recently completed my latest outdoor project. A small pond with a waterfall. My wife is now a complete person she says. (I guess I'm just chopped liver or something.)
My question is........I have not put in any fish or plants in the pond just yet. I kinda wanted the pump and filter system to run for a couple of week to make sure everything was on the up and up. Recently I notices dozens of small black tadpole (sperm like in shape) creatures hanging in my filter and now on some rocks in the pond. What are these and will my goldfish take care of them when they go in? Just last week we had a frog come adopt our pond unexpectedly. I have never seen a frog in my neighbor hood before. I guess, "if you build it, they will come" does have some meaning. The frog hung out for one night and is long gone now. Did she drop a package for us then left? I really don't want a bunch of croaking frogs (if that is indeed what these little black things are) in my pond. I'm hoping they can be some fish food for my goldfish. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Joey P.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well it sounds like you have baby frogs to be. You could remove them, or when they get bigger remove and take to some water. I am just letting them grow, we have tons, and waiting to see what happens. I like the noises they make.

Some will be eaten, some will make it to adulthood.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sounds like tadpoles to me, and afraid the longer they are in there the more will survive, Some fish will eat them when they are small but the larger they get the less they bother them. And yes, your right water attracts them, Not much of a way to stop it either.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Joey, Welcome! It sounds like the tadpoles are so small now they would make a nice meal for a fish. You might want to add a couple small fish now (3" goldfish). It will help the pond cycle and don't give them fish food until the pond is balanced and can process their waste. Also add some plants so it will cut down the algae. It looks like the frog forced your hand!

Reaction score
Welcome Joey. If the tadpoles are frogs the fish may eat them but if they are toad tadpoles the fish won't because toads are toxic if eaten, even as an egg or tadpole. After one taste fish won't mess with them. It won't hurt the fish but I guess toads in any form taste bad. Although there are some snakes that eat them.

As for your frog it might still be around. I have a bullfrog that is in the pond at night or very early morning then goes under my azalea bushes during the day. I watched it do this yesterday morning.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've read that too, But seriously wonder just how true it is. when I had goldfish only my pond would be filled with toad tadpoles. now that I have koi, I never seen the eggs. I find the toads breeding, I've even seen a string of fresh laid eggs in the early morning but come and check later in the day and they are all gone. Only things I have in the pond are Koi, Goldfish, and some adult frogs. Wonder if the frogs could be eating them?

Reaction score
I had at least 10 frogs at my pond last year. This year only 2 so far, and now I haven't seen them for the past week. I miss the frogs - they would hang out on the floating island I have in the pond, and I have a stone frog "house" that I bought online, and they actually hang out in there too! Pretty funny. Hope they come back again.

Ask a Question