new guy, new pond, new fish fanatic!

Reaction score
Hi everybody. Cool forum. Lots of good reading. Im Jason. I have had a 150 gallon preformed pond and a 250 gal preformed pond in the recent past but it wasnt enough. This summer i dug a pond that is about 8'x9' and steps down from 1' to 2' to nearly 5'. Rough estimates put is at about 1500 gallons. I have about 30 goldfish in it, all less than 2 years old. I also have 2 koi which are all less that one year old. Oh and there are a few frogs that have shown up as well. This is not a super fancy pond but i think it turned out ok for my first try. I have a 1300 gph pump near the bottom and what i thought was going to be inadequate filtration that i was going to have to increase. Turns out with a bunch of plants and mostly small fish, i didnt have any issues this year. I really enjoy this pond a lot.
101112132611.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeautumn6.gif
Jason
Nice looking pond you have and interesting setup w/ those 3 rectangular boxes. How does that work?

Reaction score
My filtration system is.... well, very homemade! The tube from the pump has a 1/2 inch outlet near the bottom that shoots a jet of water towards the top of the pond. My thinking there was water circulation and aeration and to shoot "fertilizer" up to the plants on the surface. Then the hose has a splice going to a turtle. Then it continues up to a 4 tier trickle filter through a 1/2 inch outlet. Each planter box has either lava rock or bioballs in it, covered by a piece of t-shirt to provide mechanical filtration. Finally the hose goes into a home depot style filter that is about 5 gallons in size. It dumps the water back into the pond. Strange set up but i can see all the way to the bottom!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice and darn clear water you have there.

welcomefrogcar.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, very ingenious how you did your trickle tower, I'd like to see more pics from the other side. And, are you saying you only have one pump running a shot of water to the surface, the turtle spitter AND the trickle tower? You sure know how to use your 1300 gph pump's power! I'm super impressed!
Now, talk your fish into coming to the surface for a group photo and let us see your babies! ;)
Welcome to our Forum! Where the curious come and always leave as a friend!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Wecome nice looking pond about 500 gallons more than ours but be very aware that you are setting yourself up for a fall in the future.
Koi are very fast growers "we have one who's around the 28" mark", you have the 30 goldfish to think about also.
May we suggest to you your going to have to up your filtration before very long plus add a UV-C and a pond sized airpump .
You've already recognised in your mind your going to have to increase your filtration which is a good sign .
I love the trickle or Bakki shower as we term them in the koi world.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I will post some pics of the fish soon.

Wecome nice looking pond about 500 gallons more than ours but be very aware that you are setting yourself up for a fall in the future.
Koi are very fast growers "we have one who's around the 28" mark", you have the 30 goldfish to think about also.
May we suggest to you your going to have to up your filtration before very long plus add a UV-C and a pond sized airpump .
You've already recognised in your mind your going to have to increase your filtration which is a good sign .
I love the trickle or Bakki shower as we term them in the koi world.

rgrds

Dave

Hi Dave. Great comments, thanks. I agree with what you are saying. I do plan to add another pump and a bog filter of sorts along with that. I forgot to mention that my pump does have a built in uv bulb. I do have to budget my finances and what i have done so far is about all i could dumb into the pond at the time. Ill have another chunk to spend come Spring. I wonder how much i really need the air pump? With the turtle spitting water, the trickle tower dumping back into the pond, the home depot style canister filter dumping back into the pond and the water that shoots to the top out of the fitting near the bottom there is a ton of water movement and bubbles being made.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Welcome
Very nice pond

Nice filter idea
? Do you get higher/more avaporation (SP-C) with this or have you not noticed.

And yes fish pics please

Ruben M.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great photos, Diesel! Very pretty fish, and spotted at least one koi in there. Enjoy, and I agree with you, that you have enough water movement, won't need aeration at this time. Lots of air pushing in through your trickle tower set up.

Ask a Question