new guy, new pond, new fish fanatic!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dieselplower, Nov 2, 2012.

1. dieselplower

dieselplower

Hi everybody. Cool forum. Lots of good reading. Im Jason. I have had a 150 gallon preformed pond and a 250 gal preformed pond in the recent past but it wasnt enough. This summer i dug a pond that is about 8'x9' and steps down from 1' to 2' to nearly 5'. Rough estimates put is at about 1500 gallons. I have about 30 goldfish in it, all less than 2 years old. I also have 2 koi which are all less that one year old. Oh and there are a few frogs that have shown up as well. This is not a super fancy pond but i think it turned out ok for my first try. I have a 1300 gph pump near the bottom and what i thought was going to be inadequate filtration that i was going to have to increase. Turns out with a bunch of plants and mostly small fish, i didnt have any issues this year. I really enjoy this pond a lot.
    [​IMG]

dieselplower, Nov 2, 2012
    rn225 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. dieselplower

j.w I Love my Goldies

[​IMG] Jason
    Nice looking pond you have and interesting setup w/ those 3 rectangular boxes. How does that work?

j.w, Nov 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. dieselplower

dieselplower

My filtration system is.... well, very homemade! The tube from the pump has a 1/2 inch outlet near the bottom that shoots a jet of water towards the top of the pond. My thinking there was water circulation and aeration and to shoot "fertilizer" up to the plants on the surface. Then the hose has a splice going to a turtle. Then it continues up to a 4 tier trickle filter through a 1/2 inch outlet. Each planter box has either lava rock or bioballs in it, covered by a piece of t-shirt to provide mechanical filtration. Finally the hose goes into a home depot style filter that is about 5 gallons in size. It dumps the water back into the pond. Strange set up but i can see all the way to the bottom!

4. dieselplower

Fishylove

Welcome Jason!! :wave:
    That's a neat set up you have there. :)

Fishylove, Nov 2, 2012
  5. dieselplower

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Very nice and darn clear water you have there.

[​IMG]

addy1, Nov 2, 2012
  6. dieselplower

dieselplower

Thank you. That picture was taken about one week ago.

7. dieselplower

CountryEscape

Wow, very ingenious how you did your trickle tower, I'd like to see more pics from the other side. And, are you saying you only have one pump running a shot of water to the surface, the turtle spitter AND the trickle tower? You sure know how to use your 1300 gph pump's power! I'm super impressed!
    Now, talk your fish into coming to the surface for a group photo and let us see your babies! ;)
    Welcome to our Forum! Where the curious come and always leave as a friend!

CountryEscape, Nov 3, 2012
    Fishylove likes this.
  8. dieselplower

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Nice, and your water is so nice & clear!

Mmathis, Nov 3, 2012
  9. dieselplower

Dave 54

Wecome nice looking pond about 500 gallons more than ours but be very aware that you are setting yourself up for a fall in the future.
    Koi are very fast growers "we have one who's around the 28" mark", you have the 30 goldfish to think about also.
    May we suggest to you your going to have to up your filtration before very long plus add a UV-C and a pond sized airpump .
    You've already recognised in your mind your going to have to increase your filtration which is a good sign .
    I love the trickle or Bakki shower as we term them in the koi world.

rgrds

Dave

Dave 54, Nov 3, 2012
  10. dieselplower

dieselplower

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I will post some pics of the fish soon.

Hi Dave. Great comments, thanks. I agree with what you are saying. I do plan to add another pump and a bog filter of sorts along with that. I forgot to mention that my pump does have a built in uv bulb. I do have to budget my finances and what i have done so far is about all i could dumb into the pond at the time. Ill have another chunk to spend come Spring. I wonder how much i really need the air pump? With the turtle spitting water, the trickle tower dumping back into the pond, the home depot style canister filter dumping back into the pond and the water that shoots to the top out of the fitting near the bottom there is a ton of water movement and bubbles being made.

dieselplower, Nov 3, 2012
  11. dieselplower

Ruben Miranda I am so confused

Hello
    Welcome
    Very nice pond

Nice filter idea
    ? Do you get higher/more avaporation (SP-C) with this or have you not noticed.

And yes fish pics please

Ruben M.

Ruben Miranda, Nov 3, 2012
  12. dieselplower

dieselplower

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. dieselplower

dieselplower

It was 27* here last night so i dont think my fish will be bothered to come for food this morning. Those pics are about a month old or so.

14. dieselplower

CountryEscape

Great photos, Diesel! Very pretty fish, and spotted at least one koi in there. Enjoy, and I agree with you, that you have enough water movement, won't need aeration at this time. Lots of air pushing in through your trickle tower set up.

15. dieselplower

dieselplower

There is one Koi and one Shubunkin in there along with about 30 common/comets. I also have 1 3" Koi in a 75 gallon that i am fattening up over the Winter.

CountryEscape likes this.
  16. dieselplower

CountryEscape

Spottted both the koi and shubie in the first pic ... and you have a frog! :LOL:

17. dieselplower

crsublette coyotes call me Charles

Welcome Diesel !!! :)

Yeah, the size of your koi will depend on the fish genetics so not all fish will get huge. Koi imported from Japan are known to get up to 32"~36" long.

See, now there you go. Perfect design example of how to do a wet/dry filter, except you could difinately change the plumbing a little so it performs as better bio-filter. These filters don't have to be huge towers with algae growing all over it as "one person" I know likes to present them as such. Your wet/dry filter (also called trickle or shower tower) efficiency will improve if you could dramatically bump up the gph flow rate into it, but ya might have to punch more holes in the bottom of the trays to be sure the trays lets the water pass and does not hold much water. High turnover does not hurt fish at all; actually, a new design of ponds calls river or stream flow ponds are around 2,000 gallons with 20,000gph turn over. The efficiency of the wet/dry filters are amazing. You won't need any other bio-filtration if you build the wet/dry bio-filter properly, but it's good to have a secondary bio-filter in case electricity fails, preventing water to be pumped into the wet/dry bio-filter.

Diesel, if you are dead set on doing a bog, look into doing an anoxic design of a bog. ((a little warning, the thread gets a bit dramatic so don't let that disuade ya)). It uses far less gravel and the plumbing is off to the side a bit versus a bog. The only construction difference between the anoxic and the bog is material compartmentalization and diffusor placement, but the inner workings of the anoxic is far more efficient than a bog.

crsublette, Nov 3, 2012
  18. dieselplower

dieselplower

Here are a couple different views of the pond while i was still landscaping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. dieselplower

crsublette coyotes call me Charles

Heh, Diesel, you could also make a paste to adhere pea gravel and such to the trays and add some fake plants onto the side walls of the trays. Might actually look like a nice tribal rock column sort of thing. :)

crsublette, Nov 3, 2012
  20. dieselplower

j.w I Love my Goldies

Wow cool and pretty setup Diesel, and thanks for showing us more pix. You could add one more box to the top of those and put live hanging plants in it draping down all over the rest. Love your fish and froggy :razz:

j.w, Nov 3, 2012
    crsublette likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question