New guy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everybody! My name is Shaun and I’m a new guy to ponds. I honestly have very little knowledge of what I should be doing, lol. I was having a few beers one day and decided it would be cool to dig a pond out with my small tractor and now I’m ready to get some plants. I’ll search for some info before I ask but please excuse any dumb questions I may have. Looking forward to picking your brains for ideas. Thanks much! (Water is cloudy bc I was playing with some rock but it’s usually pretty clear)

Attachments

• B69C6649-E242-48A0-8EAA-0E1604457FA5.jpeg
    B69C6649-E242-48A0-8EAA-0E1604457FA5.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My add-on bog project:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
And member @addy1 has a huge bog thread you should check out:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sad story:
I was talking with another guy at the garden center that had a bunch of koi for 30 years. I think he said he had 50 of them.
This Spring he couldn't find them.
They were all taken by something. All of them!
He thinks a mink swam under the ice and snatched them all. He said he didn't think it was a bird, due to the ice.
Very sad. 30 years. Those fish were basically family members.

I told him to get some cameras. Too late for those fish, but for the future it might help.

I had a trail camera out there in the past, but now I use the Blink wireless ones. It's much better and easier than downloading from an SD card in the trail camera. The Blink videos are right on my phone. Plus, you can talk through the Blink cameras. You do have to pay a $100 per year subscription for cloud service, but I think it's worth it. I currently have 8 cameras.
My daughter yells at bears through the cameras when they go after her chicken coop. It's kind of funny the way the bear turns and looks in the direction of the camera then walks away!
There are other brands out there that are just as good or maybe even better.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Shaun, glad you signed up.
It was nice meeting you at the garden center.

Look around. There's tons of info here and loads of friendly people.
Hi, Joe. Nice to meet you too! just good timing, I guess. I might fly up to MPO tomorrow so if I do I'll let you know. And thanks for all the great info. I'm sorry I didn't get your wifes name but all great info. I appreciate all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Glad you ran into Joe...He has sent you to the right place for pond advice. Lots of very experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum. Welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Hello everybody! My name is Shaun and I’m a new guy to ponds. I honestly have very little knowledge of what I should be doing, lol. I was having a few beers one day and decided it would be cool to dig a pond out with my small tractor and now I’m ready to get some plants. I’ll search for some info before I ask but please excuse any dumb questions I may have. Looking forward to picking your brains for ideas. Thanks much! (Water is cloudy bc I was playing with some rock but it’s usually pretty clear)
Great group of people, they’ve really helped me out over the last 9 years, welcome ✌

Ask a Question