New Hakko HK25LP Linear Air Pump running Hot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
My new one week old air pump is running hot, as the case and the air hose are hot. This was a kit with 24’ of weighted hose the pump and an 8” diffuser ( essentially an 8” circle of drip Irragation hose. It is rated for 1000-7000 gallon ponds with diffuser down up to 6 ft. Mine is at bottom of pond that is 30” deep.

The pump seems to be working very hard to deliver the air to the diffuser. It is delivering a massive amount of air so no complaints there.

Anybody else have experience with this pump? Is this normal?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not familiar with that brand but it looks exactly like mine. How many lines are you running off of it? any check valves?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have an API aerator pump and I just went out and felt mine and it's hot too and so is air hose. Maybe just normal for them to feel hot? Mine is running fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Not familiar with that brand but it looks exactly like mine. How many lines are you running off of it? any check valves?
Running the weighted line directly to the diffuser furnished with the kit. No check valves or anything in the line from pump to diffuser. Maybe I will add a T and run a second diffuser but you would think the kit was designed to operate efficiently and effectively. It does have a 3-year warranty so I guess I will see how it does over time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I have an API aerator pump and I just went out and felt mine and it's hot too and so is air hose. Maybe just normal for them to feel hot? Mine is running fine.
Good to know. I hope this is normal operation. Thanks.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I see that its only designed to run 1 9" diffuser and not exceed 50' of line. My Laguna is much larger. Haven't check temp on it since I set it up Friday.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is the pump under any shade or direct sun? If you are getting a large amount of airflow in the line then maybe it would be a good idea to add another diffuser. We run an Alita 60 with 2 diffusers with about 60 feet of weighted hose and its runs really well.

Ask a Question