New here from Alabama. Glad I found yall!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
New to the site. Glad this forum is here for help and support. Our pond is about 17 years old but just recently added the waterfall feature. I think the fish are a little stressed out at the moment but hoping for a quick recovery. To the best of my estimation, our pond is about 4500G. As with any of my hobbies, it's a work in progress. As you can see form the whole pond shot, I replaced the black tubs that spilled into each other with the rock waterfall. My wife told me that if the pond flooded one more time she was going to take a butcher knife to it. So I replaced the tubs...lol

fish.jpg
low profile view of pond 2017.jpg
pond spring 2017.jpg
waterfall back.jpg
waterfall front.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and we are gad you found us also and that you included great pics of your pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to another Southerner! Your pond looks very nice, and I'm impressed that it's 17 years old -- congratulations! What's been your secret for success?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have one but have kept in a pot .I love japanese maple but not the roots .They are very aggressive .I just repotted mine and was amazed at the massive root ball

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to another Southerner! Your pond looks very nice, and I'm impressed that it's 17 years old -- congratulations! What's been your secret for success?
Ha... the secret...hmmmm. we have been in this house for 12 years. My mom and dad had it for several years before that. When we moved in, we redid the pond about 2 years in. That liner didn't hold up, then we redid it the next year with a epdm liner and it has been ok since then. That was about 9 years ago so the epdm has proven itself worthy. The water fall addition is only a week old.

as for success... I would say that is give and take. I just try to leave it alone for the most part. My kids always want to swim in there but we try out best to keep them out. I have added some new fish this year and with the stress of the new addition, pumps being turned off and such, the fish have a few issues right not. Some are displaying some fin rot and lethargy, but I added some salt and they seem to be bounding back. Koi seem to be resilient fish or at least I hope they are. Some of the fish in here are at least 8 years old and I would hate to lose them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome aboard! The waterfall is a definite improvement over the tubs, it looks great (y)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome bighollywood. I didn't know we could grow a maple down here, I thought it was too hot for them.
....Hmmmmmm now I'm wondering where I could plant one near the pond... Lol
Pond looks great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome bighollywood. I didn't know we could grow a maple down here, I thought it was too hot for them.
....Hmmmmmm now I'm wondering where I could plant one near the pond... Lol
Pond looks great.
Ours do well... we have 3...

Ask a Question