New here from NC .. Need advice on Filters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi Everyone ,

My Husband is not fond of my idea of building a small 'trough' bog for our pond to help clear out the 'greenish water' . I have a UV light that one of my box filters flows water thru back into the pond .... We clean both box filters out weekly but the pond is not clearing up enough to suit my husband (I did convince him to feed the fish every other day instead of 1-2 daily) .....

So I went looking for a new filter .... going through them by price and reviews I am up to >>

The Tetra Pond BP1500 Koi Pond Bead Preasure filter 2500 gph price $142 on e-bay free shipping ....

Our pond is roughly 950 gallons .. with 4 goldfish and 6 koi .. I added in 4 white apple snails and 2 pleco's a few weeks ago as soon as the water warmed up enough for them , to help keep algae growth down . My 1 surviving pickerel plant is blooming and 1 water lily is really doing well and 2 more are starting out growing ..

I would love to hear if anyone has this type filter and how they like it ... it says it has a backwash to clean it out when it gets 'full' ... so I would really like that part of having a new filter versus having to take the box filters apart and cleaning out weekly ...

Thanks for any input ...

Tammy

(This is a picture from last year right after we finished building it)

Attachments

• 227102_208391389195560_100000741007366_614068_2839116_nPond.jpg
    227102_208391389195560_100000741007366_614068_2839116_nPond.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 219

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never had luck with the pressurized with my small preformed so they are still sitting in the basement .Are you talking about a stock tank

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Don't know about that filter, so I can't say for sure. Is this a above pond filter, where the water from your pump is pushed threw?
Anyway, I never had any luck with pickerel weed either. You mentioned that only one survived, was that from last year? Anyway the best type of plant for cleaning your pond would be anything in the "sedge" category. Sedges are plants with a "spear shape leaf" Like a Cattail, rush, or my favorite, water Iris, I have the "Yellow flag iris and have had it for 20 years now, have to constantly give pieces away every year, but they do a amazing job cleaning. They bloom real pretty too. Next month when its blooming I will post a picture.
:)

Reaction score
I have a UV light that one of my box filters flows water thru back into the pond .... We clean both box filters out weekly but the pond is not clearing up enough to suit my husband (I did convince him to feed the fish every other day instead of 1-2 daily) .....
UV is 100% effective in removing green water...when installed and sized correctly. I would remove the media from the filter entirely. It's doing you no good and can interfere with water movement past the UV. Manufacturers are forced by the market to sell them with the media. Also reduce the amount of water going through the UV by adding a valve. UV will clear a pond in 3-5 days. If it doesn't it isn't installed correctly.

The amount of food has nothing to do with green vs clear water. It can mess up other water quality issues and can make green water greener. But nothing to do with clear water.

The Tetra Pond BP1500 Koi Pond Bead Preasure filter 2500 gph price $142 on e-bay free shipping ....
Zero effect on green water. Bead filters are uses as a prefilter to remove large matter. Normally connected to a bottom drain.

Our pond is roughly 950 gallons .. with 4 goldfish and 6 koi .. I added in 4 white apple snails and 2 pleco's a few weeks ago as soon as the water warmed up enough for them , to help keep algae growth down
That's kind of a high fish load depending on fish size. Testing water quality is how you tell if you have a problem. Also tells you if you're feeding too much.

I would love to hear if anyone has this type filter and how they like it ... it says it has a backwash to clean it out when it gets 'full' ... so I would really like that part of having a new filter versus having to take the box filters apart and cleaning out weekly ...
Bead filters were the new hot combo filter about 10-15 years ago...everyone wanted one, and they were expensive. Over the years they've lost their appeal. Combo filters just don't work very well, no way around it. Now bead filters are not very popular at all by serious pond keepers. Used as prefilters, but even for that a sieve filter is far better, cheaper, low maintenance choice. They have become very popular in the mass market where they sound good and that's good enough.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Check out that pet place .com they have it cheaper and free shipping on 49 dollars

Attachments

• house 2012 002.JPG
    house 2012 002.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 298
  • house 2012 003.JPG
    house 2012 003.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 277

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine sit in the basement sad and unused ,I'm glad I got them dirt cheap or I would really be upset

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bog only, no pond issues, but have read that pressurized filters can be a pita

Ask a Question