New Here. Regarding tench and breeding

Reaction score
Hi folks. New here and hoping you could help me with some things.

I currently have about 20 fish in my pond made up of koi, goldies, shubunkins and orfe and i was looking to add some tench. will this affect the other fish? breeding? and are tench good breeders?

I havn't had a spawn yet but i think my fish are still to young.

anyway hopefully you could help me out.

Thanks
Lew

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum, please add your location using the User CP at the top of this page.
Why would you add a "floating turd" into your pond?LOL
I had to look it up on Google. You must be in Europe, UK?

Reaction score
Location added :banana: thanks for your reply.

Yes i'm in the UK. floating turd lol. can't say ive heard it called that before. were your refering to the tench or orfe? I just fancied somthing different so i thought i'd give them a wirl.

Here's what i got. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260431046490

I've just been out by the pond for a smoke and noticed that one of my koi is very very egg bound. looks like it's gonna explode. Will this fish deffinately spawn? they havn't been chasing yet but i've seen them do it loads in the past but with no spawn but i think that was because they were too young. this year hopfully i'll get somthing.

Thanks
Lew

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am friends with the largest Koi Farm in Southern California who also has a huge farm in Japan and he told me that he can make his egg carrying Koi spawn at any time by just doing a water change. Their combined farms have over 250,000 Koi so he must be onto something.

I posted this a few months ago.
April 26th 2009, at 6:30 AM, water temperature at 62.9 degrees F my koi spawned.

String algae, floating spawning ropes, mop heads and floating plants like water hyacinth are needed for them to attach the eggs to.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There are no guarantees with eggs, there are variables that can complicate things. Never do a complete water change.....
My thoughts are up to 25% AND no chlorine. You might want to get some Methelyne Blue now and set up your brine shrimp hatcheries if you are serious about yield. Example:
200 Koi, No special treatment or isolation.
500 Koi, Isolation only. few tanks, brine shrimp.
5000 Koi, treatment and isolation, more tanks, brine shrimp.

This has been my experience the last 3 spawns.

Reaction score
That's very helpful. thanks for the advice.

So what happnes with the eggs if they arn't layed? do they just disolve or somthing?

i have alot of string algae built up on the liner and a tiny bit skimming the top. and of course i have the standard plants e.g lilly's, rushes and so on. hopefully this will be enough. i'll try and snap some pics of everything before hand.

I'm also trying to get them to hand feed. I've got as close as sitting on the edge of the pond and them feeding right next to me but they wont take it from my hand. it's a massive step from what it used tp be. i'd only have to go near the pond and they'd swim away.

Any tips you could share?

Thanks again
Lew

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Just be patient and slow. Let them get used to you, sit there for while so they know you are not a threat.

Eggs can be absorbed by thier bodies, if not, it can cause problems. i have no further advice other than Google. Never had the problem.

Ask a Question