New here to Garden Pond Forum - Need Guidance PLEASE

Reaction score
My husband and I are new to ponding. We just built out pond in June and expanded to a 14'x10'x4' and love it.
We have gradually been adding fish and it's wonderful. Last night we added two huge (26-28") koi who seem to be doing well. One of them keeps trying to swim up the waterfall and has scratched her face. Is there anything I can do to help her heal quickly? We have some large rounded rocks and then the shelves which aren't smooth exactly, as the base of the waterfall and a bog for the plants. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Propolis. It is made from bee pollen and other stuff from the hive and is sold in health food stores. We use it to treat body damage and holes made in the mouth when fishing for carp. Dab the area dry with a bit of kitchen paper and spread a light film over the area that requires treatment. After a few seconds it will seal the wound and will not come off when the fish is put back.

In the UK we have quite a few different solutions that anglers use on the fish they catch, but don't think that they are available in the States,

Reaction score
So I have to get her out of the pond? I was hoping not to stress the poor girl out?
I put stress coat in last night and today was the day for the weekly bacteria add.
I wasn't sure if I could add anything to the water. I'll go to the health food store tomorrow and see if they have this.
People at the garden store said she should be ok and heal on her own if the water quality is good.
I've tested and ammonia is good, nitrite and nitrate both good and the ph was 8.
I'm not sure what else to test for?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
solar salt in the blue bag desolve it in a bucket of water and I keep mine about 2 %

Reaction score
sissy said:
solar salt in the blue bag desolve it in a bucket of water and I keep mine about 2 %
Can you tell me exactly what you mean. I've never added salt. What is 2%? How much would I add to a 36-3800 gal pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry I guess point did not show up . :cheerful: With koi it helps there slime coat .I have had the one bag of solar salt for over 5 years now and all the rain this summer seems I used more .Some one did post a calcutaor on here at one time how much salt to add ,not sure who .Waterbug could answer that or dave maybe .

Reaction score
jacquec1253 said:
So I have to get her out of the pond? I was hoping not to stress the poor girl out?
Taking the fish out of the water for a couple of minutes will not cause stress to the fish. Carp are hardy fish and as long as they are kept wet they are fine. All you need to do is to lift the net clear of the water by a couple of inches and treat the fish whilst it is in the net. Takes literally 2 minutes to apply the Propolis to the wound.

Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 396

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
love your bears and rocks really nice .I use my neighbors salinty testor since I take care of her pond and she is using one of my pumps why not . :cheerful:

Ask a Question