New here

Reaction score
Hi, have had a back yard pond for 7 years now. Just recently we had to replace the liner and ended up with a larger pond. As expected the water was beautiful for the first week. Now it looks like pea soup. I have two filters one with a uv light, that still indicates the light is lit. But I was wondering if maybe the uv part may have stopped working. Does any one know about these things. Also I have tested the water and all is well except I do not have a tester for salt, which I will pick up today. Have added salt but thinking not enough yet! Glad to have found this forum. Thanks in advance for you input.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and easiest and cheapest but hardest work is using quilt batting to pick up all the fine algae cells .You may have your water going through the uv to fast and salt will not stop algae unless you want ocean water and tropical fish and guessing in cape cod you are not getting that kind of weather all year
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54076]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54073]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53602]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53507]

Reaction score
Thank you Sissy. I don't have a way to set up a system like that, yours looks great. Changed the light yesterday so we will see. Had a young male Mallard duck land in the pond this morning. He waddled around the yard for a while and took off. Was interesting to say the least.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Big Lou said:
Welcome!

A fish safe, plant safe Algaeside will clear up your pond in a giffy. READ AND FOLLOW THE PRODUCTS DIRECTIONS.
Lou it is a new setup. Chances are the algae is there to take care of the ammonia and will clear when his biofilter comes to life. Way to early to talk chemicals.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just don't thrust those products that say they kill stuff or they clear your water .My neighbor did but the green clean and it worked a little ,but seems filter is not working right at picking up stuff .I wonder if that stuff killed off her bio load n her filter .I am at a lose and we added the quilt batting and it is clearing up more each day .I drilled holes in a bucket and we tied it to under where her water goes back into the pond .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I ran quilt batting in my formal pond for several years during the 90s and do not recall that it was all that good at removing suspended algae. If I recall correctly you are soaking the batting with hydrogen peroxide. I would expect that is what is killing off the algae. Maybe once dead it clumps and is caught by the batting.

Would not stake my life on this. Just what I remember.

But I wonder about hydrogen peroxide. People add it to aquariums to up the oxygen level when there is trouble. Logic tells me that a few minutes after you start the pump the peroxide is gone. Maybe it forms some secondary compound that does the algae in, on't know.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I really have no clue but I know it works so I have a habit of staying with what works for me .Just like lava rock works for me .I soak the quilt batting in a combo of water and peroxide .I am a person of habit I guess .Never thought of myself that way but since doing the pond ,I guess I am .I guess ponding opens your eyes to new stuff but you have to be careful which things you choose to do .I fell for chemicals about 3 times because the stores push all the benefits at you and only way to really learn is from other ponders .I could not really afford to put out all that money for things that did not work or worked for a short time and then you needed to pay for more .If my dad and mom could run an organic farm back when there was nothing known about it then I can do this .I guess I am my fathers daughter . :cheerful:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What you mean Lou...............you can't see the welcome letters in the middle of the feathers? Look close as they flash off and on :cheerful:

Ask a Question