New Here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just signed up here, but have visited this site often in the past.

I have a goldfish/water garden that we built in 2015. It's around 4,000 gallons. I keep some commons, comets, sarassas, shubunkins, watonia, and I added some orfes last year. I have different colors of goldfish and they add a lot of color to the pond.

I enjoy the plants, too, and feel like they contribute a great deal to the pond. Fish without plants would be pretty plain, I think, and plants without fish would be lacking as well, at least to me. So goldfish are my choice of fish.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and I'm sure I will learn a lot from the folks here. I'm always anxious to learn more about this hobby, or obsession, as it might better be called!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1570205359519.gif
@WaterGardener

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group of pond lovers! Post pictures when you can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just signed up here, but have visited this site often in the past.

I have a goldfish/water garden that we built in 2015. It's around 4,000 gallons. I keep some commons, comets, sarassas, shubunkins, watonia, and I added some orfes last year. I have different colors of goldfish and they add a lot of color to the pond.

I enjoy the plants, too, and feel like they contribute a great deal to the pond. Fish without plants would be pretty plain, I think, and plants without fish would be lacking as well, at least to me. So goldfish are my choice of fish.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and I'm sure I will learn a lot from the folks here. I'm always anxious to learn more about this hobby, or obsession, as it might better be called!
Hi and welcome! It’s always nice to have another water gardener with goldfish on the forum! So many people start out with Koi and are disappointed by the results. I started out with just goldfish in 2009 and just recently added a few Koi. It’s a lot more work!! Half of me is wishing I just kept it a goldfish pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you all for the welcome. I'll try to get some pictures soon. Unfortunately, the pond isn't looking it's best right now with some of the plants fading at the end of this season. But maybe you can get an idea of what is there.

I'm looking forward to spending some time here and learning about what you folks do with your ponds and fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unfortunately, the pond isn't looking it's best right now with some of the plants fading at the end of this season. But maybe you can get an idea of what is there.
All of us in the northern areas have fading ponds. So no worry about that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just took some pictures of the pond so I hope I can get them on here. I'm not the best at that sort of thing. We cover it in winter and have been taking down the framing each year in spring and putting it back up in the fall. But this last year we decided to leave it where it is full time. There is actually a waterfall under those impatiens and taros at the far end on the left. It's been camouflaged by the plants this year.

I tried to get pictures of the fish, but they were in their usual feeding frenzy. Since it's cool today, food was the only way to get them to come up to be photographed. I hope you can make out some of the herd in the second picture.

Attachments

• 493.jpg
    493.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 505.jpg
    505.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 120

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice looking pond and cover! Yep I can see a lot of fish in there. If you live where it gets hot in the Summer you can use the cover to put shade cloth up too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks. We put up shade sails in summer so it doesn't get too much sun.

I included a winter picture, too. It's not very pretty, but it works.

Attachments

• IMG_20181115_151301815 (1).jpg
    IMG_20181115_151301815 (1).jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 100

Ask a Question