addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well today a different heron visited.............

Larger, more aggressive moved faster.

So:

Anti heron method 1

>>>>>>>fence..........jumped over it

Anti heron method 2

>>>>>>>fishing line...........got feet caught and did a boomerang as it landed into the pond

Anti heron method 3

>>>>>>>> alligator........it did not even see it

Anti heron method 4

>>>>>>> shooting gun into air, still don't want holes in liner.........it flew!

It came in and very nicely got a drink out of the lotus tub, then made a bee line for the pond.

Fishing line..............the birds feet/legs got snagged as it landed in the pond, the lines pulled it back, it will enter from the left

Watch from the left mid side of the video

Fish eye view watch the upper left corner

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad he didn't grab a fish anyways. He didn't even have time to see the fish line. I think you are right, it's a different bird. Maybe Harry's mama or pops, lol! Be gone birds, be gone w/ the likes of ya!!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh geez, Addy, what are you going to do now???

We leave in a week for a few weeks, so went and bought fence posts, netting, chicken wire...................going to rig up a over the pond cover until we get back. The pond is 15-20 ft wide 27 feet long, makes it hard to cover. Need to have it done tomorrow so I can have the bird test it some before we leave.

Wow they must love your pond..not good :(

we are rural, quiet, end of street house. the monocacy river runs near us, I have heard there are a lot of herons there.

We watched them fly over all summer, but our fish were small, now they have grown and very seeable from air. And clear water!

http://www.frederickcountymd.gov/do...ing/Monocacy River Water Trail Map Guide.pdf

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh, poor Addy....... I wish those stupid birds would leave you and your ponds alone.

yeah me too, but don't think that is going to happen...............unless we go fishless............

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They mentioned something in that article about a green heron also. Sure is a nice river to take a cruise in a canoe or raft. Why doesn't the darn bird stay on the river? Guess cuz he looked down from above and thought "Easy Pickins there for me"! Well him or also his buddies are finding it's not so easy at addy's place. They must go home to the others and say "Ok Burt, Harry failed it's now your turn to try! So on and so on, lol!

Reaction score
Too bad you don't have an electrical transformer behind your house for them to get caught up in, like the one that was visiting my house last year. My pond is minimum 3 1/2 feet deep and straight down sides. I'm not sure if they can get anything out of my pond. Is your pond more shallow? Stupid birds.........grrrrr

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Too bad you don't have an electrical transformer behind your house for them to get caught up in, like the one that was visiting my house last year. My pond is minimum 3 1/2 feet deep and straight down sides. I'm not sure if they can get anything out of my pond. Is your pond more shallow? Stupid birds.........grrrrr

It is 3-4 feet deep where the sucker landed in it, 5 at the deepest point. no shelves, except on the bog wall and those are 2 feet down. I didn't think it would fly in and land, stabbing the water trying to get the fish, but it sure did. funny watching the fishing line yanking it back..............The fish were still deep the last time I could really see them. i.e. light out.

Baeya, all of our lines are under ground so no transformers, no traffic, no people just farm land and my pond

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well joe came back, yesterday, not harry. He spent 2 hours here.

incoming flight, out by the back field garden............what a wing span

incoming.jpg

i edited the video to go right to the bird, until it uploads the edit, to see the bird go to 1:28 into the video

First drank out of the lotus pond, checked out the heron from the east end of the pond

east end allie check out.jpg

then walked behind the bog to the north side of the pond and checked out the gator again.
The wind was blowing beautifully, allie the gator was moving the whole time.

Then joe gave up on the big pond moved onto one of the small stream ponds, frogs only in it

ready for food.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
posed real nicely in front of the lilies

heron w flower.jpg

Gave up on the small ponds and walked up the stream , snagging a cricket or two as it walked

Then it walked our path, around the house and flew away.

heron on path.jpg

Joe came back today, walked the north side of the pond, stared at the allie the gator for a few minutes, walked out into the field up to our driveway. As I arrived home, was totally surprised to see the heron standing on our driveway. It flew away as soon as it saw me.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No problem Sally it is tmann! now sally needs to scat fly south ...............

Ask a Question