New hobby, new pond

Reaction score
Hi to all

Me and the other half have just moved into our new house and have inherited a pond from the previous owners.

The pond has upper and lower pools, and a watercouse connecting the two. The upper pool has what I believe to be a fibreglass liner (its a sort of cream / beige colour) and the lower pool has a standard black pond liner.

The box filter is situated at the top of the garden which flows into the upper pool which has large lilly's growing out of it. The water then flows out of the opposite side of the upper pool and down the concrete watercourse. The watercouse has shrubs growing either side of it which overhang for about half its length. The water then flows over a waterfall (or should I call it a watertrickle?!) into the lower pool which is where the fish live.

There are approx 10 goldfish and I think there may be 1 or 2 koi carp as well? the largest of these is approx 7" not including the tail. There are also a number of small black fish which I assume are the babies (probably at least 8).

Upper : L= 5ft x W= 2.5ft x D= 1.5ft
Lower : L= 7ft x W= 3.5ft x D= 1ft
Watercourse : L= approx 10ft

I have calculated that there is an approx total water volume of around 4200 litres
(936 gallons). I have recntly bought a new pump which cycles 1200 lph.

I wanted to introduce myself and explain my setup here, but I am also going to post in the newbies to garden ponds to explain the problems that i've been having and to hopefully get some advice.

Thanks!

Xenon50

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome, post some pictures if you can, it helps a lot when people try to help you out.

Everybody will help you get it straightened out.

Ask a Question