New home owner came with koi pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I purchased a home with a koi pond which we have completely cleaned out and added fresh water with a dechlorinator and added barley straw. We know nothing about koi ponds in what to do now as far as purchasing koi fish and when we can add new fish and what we need to do from here on out. The previous owners didn't leave no information or details what to do. Our guess is it's about 3 ft deep. About 500-750 gallons. It's got a liner, pump, deicer, waterfall

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Post some pictures and any questions you have. My guess is the fish are not koi, if they are your pond is too small for them.
Post some pictures of the fish also.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! Here are pictures of my pond. Their are no fish in it. The previous owner had 9 koi fish but they died. The water was green as can be and we found all 9 fish floating. We drained the water and pressure washed and just refilled the other day and added the dechlorinator and barley straw as someone suggested.

Attachments

• 20190716_202014.jpg
    20190716_202014.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 20190716_201832.jpg
    20190716_201832.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 20190716_201816.jpg
    20190716_201816.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 181
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's sad that the fish all died... be assured that the green water wasn't an issue for the fish. They don't mind one bit if the water is green. Other factors may have contributed to their death - too big for the pond most likely.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1563460185340.gif
@Nanaof7 I would only put goldfish in that small of a pond. Take a look at Shubunkin goldfish as they are really pretty and don't grow too big like koi do.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We drained the water and pressure washed and just refilled the other day and added the dechlorinator and barley straw as someone suggested.
Since you just did the above do not add fish for awhile and then when you do add very few. If you pressure washed well you removed a lot of the good bacteria that helps keep the water good for the fish.

These are shubunkins, very pretty, tougher than koi and able to live in smaller ponds. The colorful ones, the gray are throw backs that may or may not turn color. Some have beautiful fins!
20190421_130505.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you so much!! Is their anything else I need to do before adding fish in a couple of weeks? We did leave some of the stuff in the water for bacteria. We have purchased a test kit, barley straw,pond zyme sludge destroyer, and the previous owner left a bottle of algacide

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I never use any of those chemicals into my pond as they can just make things worse. You will hear more on this from others who have more experience w/them. The test kit is a good idea. I bought some barley straw awhile back and found that it mostly just mucked up the water for me as it rotted. I'm sticking to the more natural route w/the pond. Letting the filters and aeration, plants and fish all do their thing. Plants would really be a good idea and goldfish don't mess w/the plants like koi sometimes do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Step one - toss the algaecide. It's dangerous to fish and other aquatic life, and you're going to learn to manage your pond without it.
Step two - return the barley straw and sludge destroyer (if you can). See Step One.
Step three - Read up on the nitrogen cycle while you wait so you know what you're looking for.
Step four through ten - repeat after me: Patience is a ponding virtue!

Start posting your water test results and you'll get good advice here on when and how to add fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome to the forum @Nanaof7

You've got some good advises, I agree that Shubunkins or goldfish will be a better choice for your pond giving its size, I also agree no more power washing and no more algaecide.
Your pond will benefit tremendously if you added some aquatic plants.
I would start with a couple of goldfish only, I would use Prime (see link below) during the cycling, feed the fish next to nothing for a few weeks, and then just let the pond run.

Good luck to you!

Ask a Question