New Home Owner - Wetlands in Backyard

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently purchased a home in Westchester NY and have only seen it in the winter with a foot of snow. That snow has melted and revealed a little bog/swamp/wetlands in the backyard (see pic below - I don't know the difference).

I don't mind it because its far from the home (about 100ft) and I think there is an opportunity to create something beautiful from this.

We plan to clean up some of the fallen trees and bushes once we identify what is alive and what is dead but I don't have the funds to hire a professional.

Am I naive to think that a little digging and landscaping can create a beautiful small pond that will attract frogs and other amphibians?

I would appreciate any advice for options that don't cost too much and would be suitable for an amateur like myself. I am looking forward to many weekends of projects and I have a few friends that can help so manpower and time are plentiful :)

Thank you so much in advance. Can't wait to one day post the "after" pic!

Attachments

• 2015-04-07 11_29_45.jpg
    2015-04-07 11_29_45.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 311
Last edited by a moderator:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Get a chain saw and clean it up, its cheap but hard work

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonder if it is an all year wet area or will it dry up in the hot summer?
Hope it will be a nice spot for critters after you clean it up some.

Ask a Question