New home with koi pond. Need advice.

Reaction score
We get keys to our new house in 2 weeks. The koi pond looks like it has never been cleaned. I've never had a pond so I've been searching google and YouTube for tips. I bought a 55 gal drum and aerator to hold the fish while I clean the pond. How long can they survive in there? One fish about a foot long and 20 or so that are under 6". Should I empty out the pond half way and clean what I can before removing them? Or will it stress them out being in there while I'm doing that? I definitely have to empty it completely cuz who knows how thick the sludge is at the bottom. Just what you can grab from the edged is foot long moss and sliminess. Any cheap ($40-50) submersible pump recommendations? And how do I know if the water is ready to reintroduce them to the new clean pond? I have the recommended chlorinater stuff to add to the water, but am worried about temps of fresh filled pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! And you're off to a good start by doing your research! Where do you live, BTW, 'cause some issues can be climate-specific. The more info we have, the better we can help, give advice, and answer questions.

One of the very first things I would recommend is for you to get a water test kit -- the liquid (drops) is preferred over strips. You'll want one that tests for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and KH. Read up on cycling the pond, which will help with some of your questions. Do you have access to the pond yet?

Do you have any idea at all (or did I miss it in your post?) what size (LxWxD) and/or how many gallons it holds? Sounds like a good number of good-sized fish -- do you know what kind they are?

I'm excited for you! Be sure to post pictures: the good, the bad, and the ugly (well, not really....) as we love to see pics!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
congrats on house and pond .How deep and how big is the pond and do you know if it has a filter .Bigger the pump bigger the price .Do not look at cheaper pumps that you may pay for in the end .Electric rates are not cheap so look at the watt rating

Reaction score
I wont have access to the pond again for these last two weeks til closing. My husband is Army (working on his 19th year). They just moved us to the Denver, Co area. We found a house in Aurora just south of Buckly AFB. Temps are still up and down. We had a 8" of snow a couple days ago but it'll be 80 degrees by this weekend. I found a supply store for fish and ponds. I'll make surebto pick up a test kit for the water. Theres a submersible pump on craigslist (Little Giant 505005) for $40 here. I was debating about getting it to drain the pond. The actual pumps for the pond to run work fine. Wont know what kind those are until wenget keys.

Reaction score
I dont even know how deep it is cuz you cant see the bottom. Its about 12x12 feet. Im guessing its prob 4ft at its deepest, who knows til its clean. Its the photo I have as my "profile pic".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
you do not need to see the bottom, just stick a broom handle in it then measure the part that is wet. That will get you very close for depth

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I dont even know how deep it is cuz you cant see the bottom. Its about 12x12 feet. Im guessing its prob 4ft at its deepest, who knows til its clean. Its the photo I have as my "profile pic".
Ah, OK! I know you wish you could have access, but these 2 weeks will fly by!

Ask a Question