New house came with pond. :)

Reaction score
Ive never had a pond or koi before. Our new house came with a 950 gallon pond filled with Koi and goldfish. I think there are too many koi so i have already given some of them to a pond care store. I have also noticed some of my Koi are pregnant how do i go about taking care of baby koi? do i do anything? should i just sell mama off beforehand? Im completely new to this. I think i would like to keep the larger Koi the smallest is about 2 feet and the largest is a bit over 3. My Orange and Black koi has 2 bluish silver crescent shapes on its side, what is this is it normal? if you can tell me what kind of Koi i have ide like to know. Also if anyone knows how to keep mesquitoes down around the pond i would greatly appreciate it, any helpful advice really would be great.

Attachments

• GEDC1935.JPG
    GEDC1935.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 292
  • GEDC1918.JPG
    GEDC1918.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 331
  • GEDC1937.JPG
    GEDC1937.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 281
  • ResizedImage_1374247874547.jpg
    ResizedImage_1374247874547.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 310
  • ResizedImage_1374247757773.jpg
    ResizedImage_1374247757773.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 333
  • ResizedImage_1374247612863.jpg
    ResizedImage_1374247612863.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 285
  • ResizedImage_1374247834400.jpg
    ResizedImage_1374247834400.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 320
Reaction score
Oh my gosh you lucky son of a gun. Some of those fish look quite valuable. I would not be giving the big ones away too fast. Im talking retail stores could get a few to several hundreds of dollars a piece for those. I really have no idea how to ID Koi but there are some experts on here so just be patient. Dave54 is very good. I am glad to hear you want to get rid of some of the fish though. It does look pretty crowded in there. I am just green with envy :) Those orange and black ones are just tooooooo coooooool!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! WOW, I'm amazed at the number of people who acquire their pond when they buy a house! How lucky!

I just saw your other post, where you were trying to ID the fish. You should get many responses on that, as we have many fish-savvy members. But I would like to comment that if your pond is indeed only 950 gals, then it is WAY overstocked (for koi or goldfish), as you have determined, so you are making a wise choice to re-home as many as possible. Goldfish and koi will make lots of babies!

Personally, I would keep whatever you think is pretty. The "pregnant" one -- at this stage, let nature take its course when/if she lays eggs (only after spawning behavior, but she needs a male to induce this). Otherwise, she should absorb the eggs. Right now, raising babies shouldn't be on your to-do list.

Mosquitoes? If you mean in the pond, the fish should be taking care of this for you.

What kind of filtration do you have? Pump? Aeration?

Why not do this: get a water test kit (liquid, not strips), and start monitoring your water quality. Re-home as many of the fish as possible. It's a start. Also, here's a link to help you know how many fish you should ideally have.
http://www.your-garden-ponds-center.com/fish-load-calculator.html

Oh, and there are several members here who live close to you. Maybe they can help.

Reaction score
Thank yall so much :) im going to get rid of almost all the goldfish i would like to keep the larger Koi though if possible. Ive nicknamed the big one Hoover :) since hes like a vacuum at meals I have the test kits it just seems to go green when it rains though is this normal? and the mesquitoes are in the rocks.. where the fish cant go very frusterating i dont want to spray anything and poison the fish I have a pump filter not sure what kind and i just added aeration around the pond recently.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and koi do get big and one koi may be lonely but koi are harder to take care of and water quality is always an issue but the are nice koi .950 gallons but how deep I am surprised sometimes what fish can live in and others who fuss loose fish all the time ,but some become adapted .I wish some one had told me about koi 9 years ago just how big they can get and how much waste they put out and the more you feed them the worst the water will get .I feed mine only 3 or 4 times a week ,no water issues and no dead starving fish . :cheerful:

Reaction score
Thanks these pics are kind of old i have the water alot clearer now but for some reason my newer pics wont load.. your koi look gorgeous. I am hoping to keep all my bigger Koi fish How much bigger will they get my biggest is around 3 feet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd thin down your goldfish a little as there are quite allot of them koi grow larger and may require more room later on at 950 gallons US you are pushng the boundries a little too much at the moment should anythng happen the koi will be your first casualties and nobody wants to see that happen
However your very lucky to have such a nice pond the bridge is fantasic I counted at least 33 fish in all , we have a 1,000 gallon UK pond and I wont put more than 14 in it.
Koi if looked after propperly will live to 80 years of age , our olderst two are tiny and black top aged 27 years and have been with us on our koijourny from the start others are aroubd 15 down to one as we sell some on when we need a bit of room for a new one sadly this years a beautiful Gin Rin Utsuri/showa wasnt sue which one jumped after a fly a few days ago and got caught in the net we thought would stop koi jumping and sadly the sun got to him before I did theres a thread about him check it out its a stunner
Goldfish live for around 40 years if looked after propperly

rgrds

Dave

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Wow, nice pond and nice fish! That is a lot of fish for a 950g pond. My pond is slightly smaller than yours but currently only have about 1/20th of the fish in weight (less fish and smaller).

I think you will need to take very good care of your filtration system in order to maintain a healthy environment for them. The previous owner must have done a very good job. Do you know why they left? And what is your filtration system like? Please take some pics of your pump and filtration system for us to look at.

Reaction score
welcome meagan and yes WOW,that's a lot but some very pretty fish... wish i lived closer as i would love to have some...and i agree the previous owner must have been doing something right for all of them to be thriving...

Ask a Question