New house, new pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my wife and I bought a new beautiful house and it came with a pond. I come from a saltwater aquarium background and never had anything freshwater so this is a bit of a learning curve. The pond seems to be going through a algae bloom which im guessing is from either a high phosphate level or an overabundance of dead organics in the water column. For fun i put 4 goldfish in there just to see movement. There is also about 6-8 frogs in there (had to save 1 already).

So is there any good reading material? How-to's?

Should be a fun adventure. One more question. Since its late Sept what should I be prepping for in the upcoming days/weeks?

Attachments

• 20160812_095614.jpg
    20160812_095614.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 228

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Congratulations on your new home & pond! You'll have to post more pictures!

As to "learning materials," you could just search in this forum and/or ask questions whenever you think of something. At one time or another, almost everything has been brought up and discussed here. There are a lot of good sources on the Internet, but beware that you need to always keep an open mind whenever you read stuff. There is a lot of good information, but also a lot of not-so-good information out there. And a lot of it's opinion rather than scientific. Most of the time there's not a wrong or right way to do something, just a DIFFERENT way. With your background in marine fish, you probably have a good grasp of what makes sense and what doesn't.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and least it does not look to badly neglected and you got a big bonus .So congrats on your new house and pond

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Nice looking pond.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Yea that's real nice, someone worked hard on that waterfall. Do you still do saltwater? About a year after setting up my pond I yearned to make it a tide pool. But then I came to my financial senses about that idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Beautiful pond! Did the previous owners leave any instructions or guidance for winter prep?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea that's real nice, someone worked hard on that waterfall. Do you still do saltwater? About a year after setting up my pond I yearned to make it a tide pool. But then I came to my financial senses about that idea.

I got out of saltwater about 2 years ago. I got to the point of propagating coral and selling it. The system got to a point that it was a parttime job to maintain the system ~1000 gallons. So I gave a lot of stuff away and still have some of my prized coral at a good friends house.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Beautiful pond! Did the previous owners leave any instructions or guidance for winter prep?

Very little. The previous owner did leave a heater for the winter that I guess floats on top of the water. Other than that its been a bunch of reading.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh but once you get all that info you will find it is much easier to maintain it and enjoy it .

Ask a Question