New house/New pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Ok you all, here are a few pictures from the back yard of our house in Ohio.
Firat picture is taken from the deck (used to be a 27’ above ground pool out in the yard) looking toward the house. Back of house faces east.
Second picture is from the back side of the pond looking toward the house. There is about a 4’ drop from the deck to the top of the ground behind the pool hole.
Third picture is from the patio at the back of the house looking toward the pool hole and deck.
Ideally, I would have loved for the high side to be on the far side, to build the waterfall facing the house. Still thinking about using the dirt dug out for the pond depth to have that waterfall wall.
The back line of the property is just behind the deck, and we are getting a fence installed in the next 3 weeks, so not much space behind, but the pond won’t be as large as the pool, so can fill that back area in some with clay dug out from the bottom.
Looking for some ideas for this big pond build I’m super excited to get it started, and have asked for help from an aquatic landscaper in the area, but so far he hasn’t shown up for his $250 consultation
64B76649-F786-4B1C-A3D5-B8FA2E232340.jpeg
A04B27DD-36CB-47E3-85AA-2840499FEEE0.jpeg
BD206CCE-C08A-46F4-985C-F6289D7D0614.jpeg

Oh and since many of you know I love flowers and landscaping, this is just some of the 50+ pots of plants I dug up from the Illinois house so far. The new owner doesn’t want so much and encourages me to take whatever I want. We close on that house on the 24th. Fish will be brought over as soon as pond is built here. I’ll be bringing about 100 day lilies, too. But mostly I’m bringing my favorites, expensive plants, and natives I’ve grown from seed.
ADC5783E-5369-4EBF-949B-EC09EAC8ADE4.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice, that will be a great pond and fantastic you could remove plants they can get pricey.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, for sure and considering many landscape and greenhouse businesses are currently closed because of the pandemic, I’m way ahead!
Mrs. Clem the NW corner of Cincinnati. Boyfriend is Chamber of Commerce President for Colerain Township. Excited about this new chapter in our lives.
BTW I retired so now I can devote all my time to the pond and yard ... at least for this year.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like a great spot for your new pond! You are so fortunate to be able to take your plants and leave your fish there at the old place till you are ready for them. I would like to put that waterfall on the far left side of that top photo. I think you should be able to put enough dirt over there to make you a nice looking falls. Is the deck gonna stay as that will make a nice sitting area to view the pond and falls from.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
J.W. yes the deck is staying. It’s pretty high above the hole so I was thinking of having a lower deck area added for feeding the fish. That way I can dig deeper for pond depth and the waterfall area will be higher in the process.
I’m thinking the side closest to the house, which slopes toward where the pond will be, will be a good place to landscape.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Knowing you it will look wonderful when you are done. Love the deck and like the idea of the lower deck also.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome

Depending on how elaborate you want to make this pond. Here's what i see. As you have a lot to work with.

Looks like your back yard pitches back to that area. You will want to make sure run off from the back yard doesn't get in the pond.

If your talking to a landscaper is scraping down the back yard and using that extra fill and fill from digging the pond enough to build up the down hill sides of the pond? can you then get a water fall facing the house?

Is building a wood retaining wall on the downhill edge worth it or a concrete cinder block wall .

Bring the pond up closer to the deck in height?

The upper hill area i'd build the bog up there maybe closer to the house and have a stream run down to the pond.

Some ideas but could have some good numbers behind them as well are you looking to do any work your selves?

I would seriously consider holding off on building a fence until your done with your other potentially large project. Speaking as an ex builder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
GBBUDD all of your suggestions are good and have been tossed around. I built my two former ponds in IL with a shovel ... and tractor with loader to move the dirt. This one is going to be bigger and I’m under a time constraint.
I thought about cutting back the higher front wall to make a higher back wall for the waterfall, but not sure that’s feasible. The lot line is just 3’ behinds the back pool line so not much room and the fence needs to be in soon so we can bring the dogs, since IL house closes in 3 weeks. I talked to a pond builder today, and will likely have him do most of the grunt work, including moving dirt, laying rock for the waterfall, and so forth. I can do the bog filling and mechanics. He has some really neat ideas, too. Will meet with him next week to get ideas ... and price.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A concrete block wall can be a reasonable option for close to the property line. and once they finish you can rebar and fill your self to save a buck. Good luck, will be looking for progress photos as your project comes to life

Ask a Question