New House New Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
So after moving to NE FL late last year, I am finally getting around to building a new pond. The backyard where it will be located is in need of a lot of landscaping and the pond will be a focal point. The plan is for a pond approx. 4700 gallons (13’x19’) with an oval’ish shape. I say this as my plan is to extend the current deck with a lower one that butts right up to the pond for viewing the future fish. I will be doing this all alone and no longer have my 50hp Kubota so that will suck as it made short work of the one I built back in Maine. I may rent a mini-ex but I hurt my back in the last one I rented for some weird reason so am hesitant. Order the supplies last weekend as obtaining Firestone liner is not easy right now plus picked up a Helix skimmer. As we are in FL, the plan is this will be a tropical pond with a lot of large leaf plants around, e.g. Alocasia, Colocasia, bananas and palms.

For filtration, going with a bog all the way as they work. Kept the water clear in our previous pond and the frogs and bird loved it too. Also will be adding some under liner piping to relieve any possible water from below as we have a high water table. The plan is to go down about 2-3’ and up 1’ or so above ground level plus add in overflow pipes due to all the rain in the summer.

Will be adding pics and more to come!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Great news and let us watch you build it if you can! I love the tropical look and I have a hardy palm at my pond that I cherish!

Reaction score
Country
United States
All of the equipment arrived a couple days ago and am in the process of designing the backyard. When we moved here, the yard was barren (very common it seems in FL) although it did have some very tall pines and a lot of live oak.

The plan is to have the pond between the the mule palm (X Butiagrus nabannodii) on the left and the hardy coconut (Beccariophoenix alfredii) on the right. This is looking out from the current deck and will be installing a near-ground level one beyond this deck and it that will butt up to the pond. As the photo shows, there is a bit of slope to the back of the property and the sand in the back is recent as installing drainage and raised the ground about 5-6”. Our property goes beyond the fence a bit and it’s there to keep our two pups safe.

Attachments

• 7E0D6ED7-08C7-4318-8F4C-82BADFBE6FFC.jpeg
    7E0D6ED7-08C7-4318-8F4C-82BADFBE6FFC.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 26
  • D6DF40C5-B424-4AC2-BF11-963CA3619F4C.jpeg
    D6DF40C5-B424-4AC2-BF11-963CA3619F4C.jpeg
    439.1 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@KDubU I remember your build and your pond . it came out beautifully it looked like it grew there. The one thing you didn't get was years with your build. and from what i believe i am seeing is you bought kink free tubing looks like 2". While it is not the worst tubing by any means it's equally not the best either. The standard flex pvc has visible ridges similar to what you have there but i does not have a deep recess between the ridges it's almost smooth. This is far superior for longevity . I have used both and prefer the flexible pvc by far you can also use standard pvc fittings with it easily the ridged non kink is not as reliable with fitting eather. look at all the pro video's on you tube i think you'll see the difference. that is if im not seeing things through the packing tape.

Don't know if you saw it or not but helix has a triple basket for the fall to collect leaves ALOT of leaves very cool addition to the skimmer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I did notice the hose I bought was not what I had previously and questioned the purchase. The other couple places I looked to buy were out of stock so that is why I got this one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes I did notice the hose I bought was not what I had previously and questioned the purchase. The other couple places I looked to buy were out of stock so that is why I got this one.
I heartily endorse the UN-USE of the ribbed 'no kink' stuff. Was working with a piece last week and it snapped in two when I needed a different shape. Luckily, this was for aux use and not important. Do exchange for the flex pvc for peace of mind!

smiley-tongue-on-icy-pole---Xsml.gif

Ask a Question