New house, New Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I just purchased a new home and the entire front yard is a multi-level koi and goldfish pond. The ponds range from a foot deep to three feet deep. We haven't had a chance to count all the fish yet and it is in need of a thorough cleaning and a little TLC for sure. But here she is. Was also wondering if anyone has some ideas on a few of the Koi. I have started to do some research on types, but just enough to be dangerous. The first picture is one we found when the pond was newly constructed. Not everything still functions the same and the goldfish pond up top is now isolated from the rest of the ponds. Well enjoy and im sure there will be many more pictures and questions coming soon.
IMG_6453.JPG
IMG_6594.jpg
IMG_6608.jpg
IMG_6609.jpg
IMG_6610.jpg
IMG_6611.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1659109344540.gif
@HickoryKoi
Wow that is all so gorgeous and the fish too! Love it! Do you know anything from previous experience on how to care for ponds and fish? If not lots here can help you.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What a great looking pond! Did the previous owners leave you any instructions on the maintenance of the pond and fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. Yes fortunately I know quite a bit about care and husbandry for the pond and the fish. Never had Koi but always have entertained the idea of them so have done tons of research on the husbandry. Just not much on the actual types. Have kept goldfish ponds and large tanks as well as saltwater and tropical fish tanks my whole life. many good koi stores in our area, so now have switched these guys over to a good koi food and looking at getting the entire system cleaned and upgrading the filters.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What a great looking pond! Did the previous owners leave you any instructions on the maintenance of the pond and fish?
The previous owner was the second owner of the pond. Got some general tips and ideas of the system, but it's definitely got some quirks. Had a local pond builder come and evaluate, and quote on major cleaning, and now I have to get my electrician out to trace some of the electrical and then work on rerouting plumbing ETC.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
From the pictures of the koi, your pond doesn't look that bad. Water is clear, not a lot of algae. Fish are doing well. Maybe all the pond needs is the bottom muck removed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
From the pictures of the koi, your pond doesn't look that bad. Water is clear, not a lot of algae. Fish are doing well. Maybe all the pond needs is the bottom muck removed?
Yes there is a major level of MUCK in all of the ponds. Serious amounts of leaf litter and various debris that has broken down, some areas are 4-8" thick. We did discuss removing all fish, spraying down waterfalls and liner, removing the muck from the bottom. There was no algae because it is completely shaded by all the trees, but we did have to remove one tree so now it gets more light on the top goldfish pond. So we did add some plants there to see how they do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't recommend a 'major cleaning'. Are they talking about tearing it down, removing the fish and power washing the sides?
I know doing everything all at once can potentially cause issues. But it has about 4-5 years worth of muck build up.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@HickoryKoi will second the do not power wash down the pond, just do a muck removal. You will be starting over if you do a power wash, as it will remove the biofilm and have to cycle the pond again. Having the potential to lose fish. Nice looking pond.

The orange/red koi looks like a gin run kohaku, another on with reddish orange he’d looks like a goshiki, a lot of koi are just mutts and will have features of various varieties.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@HickoryKoi will second the do not power wash down the pond, just do a muck removal. You will be starting over if you do a power wash, as it will remove the biofilm and have to cycle the pond again. Having the potential to lose fish. Nice looking pond.

The orange/red koi looks like a gin run kohaku, another on with reddish orange he’d looks like a goshiki, a lot of koi are just mutts and will have features of various varieties.
Thanks, I surely have no problem with mutt koi. Some of them I like more than others. Not a fan of all the butterflies but they seem to be happy. This is just the first level koi pond. The second level has equally as large of fish. honestly probably a little over-crowded.

If I get the muck removed, lightly clean/power wash the waterfalls, but leave the liner alone I would assume this would be better than an entire clean out?

I do feel I would like to drain it down, catch the fish take inventory and thin the herd if needed, or move them from one section of the pond to another. As well as perform some plumbing work and pump maintenance.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've never had to tear down my pond to clean it and it is 18 years old. Granted, I have kept up on the muck removal, but you can gradually clean up your pond without a total tear down. And it will be a lot cheaper.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have to agree with everyone else...It takes a LONG time for all of that good bacteria to grow again...Your best bet is to just remove as much muck as possible and leave the rest alone...You have such a beautiful pond there and your fish are really nice too...If you clean it all out you will likely start to have algae overgrowth problems and who knows what else...It takes years to season a pond to the level of yours!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've never had to tear down my pond to clean it and it is 18 years old. Granted, I have kept up on the muck removal, but you can gradually clean up your pond without a total tear down. And it will be a lot cheaper.
Sounds good to me. I will just have to look at doing one at a time gradually for the muck removal. Any good recommendations on a pond vac?

Ask a Question