New House, New Pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, you must have an energetic crew working then. That's so very exciting to get so much done in so little time. Can't wait for the next set of pictures. Very impressed with all that is done so far. I hope they have equipment to move some of those boulders! That will be like a puzzle getting them all set in and around your pond. Sounds like soon we will all see the finished product. :goldfish: :razz:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Congrats on the very nice tile job and cool rocks..............now onto day 6, heave ho!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are doing a great job, maybe knowing there is a forum of people critiquing their work helps lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep we are all eyes :alieneyesa:
We like to learn also............fills our head w/ all kinds of neat ideas :lamp5:

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Day 6 Photos: According to the builder using the underlay on top helps protect the liner from the rocks and they say it is pond
safe having done it many times previously?

Water will be in the pond sometime tomorrow. :)

Day6001.jpg

Day6002.jpg

Day6003.jpg

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Looking good, it is going to look really nice when you get finished. The only thing I would consider changing is the rocks on the bottom of the pond. They will collect a lot of muck that is hard to clean. You can't see the liner after the algae grows on it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Now see why they wanted the underlayment, for the rocks. I am in agreement with tmann pull the rocks, you will be happier in the long run. My liner looks like rocks with the algae a few folds etc.

I had rocks that size in my arizona pond, other hubby wanted them, just at the stream entrance, went to the bottom of the pond. Within a year or so full of muck, the algae loved to grow in tree sizes from the muck. Boy did it stink when I pulled them.
Was never able to keep them clean, deep crevices between those rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have my underlayment under my liner, but then I don't have rocks inside the pond, and I had lots of roots that I had to cut through (and glass and nails ... ) when I dug my pond. My pond is my first just done this year, but I would listen to these pros on the rocks in the pond. They look good now, and if you do not plan to have fish or plants, and can put chemicals in to keep the water clear and no algae from growing, then go for it. If, however, you plan to have fish and plants, you will get algae growing and those pretty rocks will soon be green and black on the bottom, and you won't know they are there ... until you try to vacuum up the much that will build up in between them. But, ultimately obviously it's your choice! Maybe you have a "plan" for keeping them clean! Good luck, it's looking great! Can't wait to see it with water ... and fish. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If it was my pond I would only keep the rocks that are on the ledge just below the top edge on the left hand side of the photo and also of course put some around the very top edge. Otherwise you are in for a heap of cleaning moving all those rocks to get at the gunk. And if you don't move them to clean you will have anaerobic activity that can kill your fish.........if you are going to have fish. You can use your ledges for the plants and the good carpet of algae that you want to keep on your liner along w/ the plants will hide your liner nicely. It is your choice of course.............and um not your builders.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Wonderful progress! Love your pathways, too. We have been laying paths of cobble pavers for about a week now. Lots of work and glad my son was able to help with a lot of it.

I'm with the "no rocks on the bottom" crowd. Nothing but a maintenance nightmare in the making. Here's a pic of our pond floor so you can get an idea of what it will look like with a coat of algae. Sorry about the brightness. 5000' elevation and intense sunlight.

pond floor.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OMG, what a neat idea! You have a tray in the middle of your pond to put plants on! Great way to get the lilies in the middle! Very pretty pond, too. LOVE those big rocks on the sides. That picture will give Carpe Diem an idea of what the sides will look like when his pond is finished. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wonderful progress! Love your pathways, too. We have been laying paths of cobble pavers for about a week now. Lots of work and glad my son was able to help with a lot of it.

I'm with the "no rocks on the bottom" crowd. Nothing but a maintenance nightmare in the making. Here's a pic of our pond floor so you can get an idea of what it will look like with a coat of algae. Sorry about the brightness. 5000' elevation and intense sunlight.

View attachment 37710

Beautiful pond! even with the brightness, looks like it has been there forever.

hope your build went well today carpe_diem

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
More pictures to follow!!

Water is in the pond and the waterfall is insane! This design, although difficult to live with as you say is an incredible
site to be sure. Looks like an entire riverbed.

At work now but will post later. Flowerbeds are going in today. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic! looking forward to your pictures

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh darn why'd ya have to go to work? Was looking forward to seeing more pix :LOL:

Ask a Question