New House w/ a backyard creek

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I recently purchased a home, and running through the back yard, is a creek that is approximately 3-4 feet across and less than a foot deep. I was hoping to obtain some insight on what I can do with this natural water feature to really highlight it and make my backyard even more beautiful.

Some ideas I had, were to possibly carve out an area so it is more circular and widened out in the middle of the yard, and use the bank on the side facing the house as a waterfall. Could you use a standard pump in a natural water source to pump water for a waterfall? I don't see why not but I don't know if I'm missing something or if this would possibly cause harm via erosion etc. Also, could I clear out a lot of the weeds and what not growing in the creek? It's very thick in some spots and doesn't look very nice.

Appreciate any advice and insight! Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome cjonns55.
We also have a natural stream/pond running through our property and the best advice I can give is to research the origins of the water supply and look at some native plants that will enhance the landscape.
I see no problem with widening an area to provide even more interest.
Some pictures would be great to see!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I had a house in Colorado, we had a stream running through our back yard. Most home owners, had widened a bit of it, some put up small walls to block the flow i.e. a pond.

Well years later the 500 year flood came. The corp of engineers came through and knocked down all the retaining walls. Basements flooded etc. We had sold and moved out before the flood.

Just be aware of where the stream comes from and goes.

Ask a Question