Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Went out this morning and found my turtles staring back at me in 6 inches of water so now I got to do the lovely task of putting them in the aquarium and moving the koi to the second pond to find the leak. They made a leak before but this one is pretty bad cause I lost about 900 gallons overnight

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i'm sorry to hear!!

Most of the time when the water drop so fast it might be that the water got diverted out through water fall, stream, pump, piping.... etc. I had that happened to me before. People here recommended that we put the submerge pump a bit off the ground so that when the water got diverted like that we still have water in the pond (pump level).

I hope you find the problem!

Last edited:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
i'm sorry to hear!!

Most of the time when the water drop so fast it might be that the water got diverted out through water fall, stream, pump, piping.... etc. I had that happened to me before. People hear recommended that we put the submerge pump a big off the ground so that when the water got diverted like that we still have water in the pond (pump level).

I hope you find the problem!
I think that may be what happened but I am looking at my 1350 gph waterfall pump as the main suspect right now

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
So sorry. Good luck with the leak.
Thank you, I think I found the problem and it was actually a pipe connection burst loose and the pump was throwing water over the side but by the time I discovered it it was too low for the pumps to run and therefore I did not get to see the water going over the top. I unhooked the waterfalls pump and now have it returning below the surface of the water so hopefully that was the culprit but it is still too early to say for sure.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
It'll be nice if the fix is this easy...hope so. Good luck!
I think it was the pump cause it is hard to imagine a normal leak that would lose 900 gallons in 8 hours and the water level stopped suspiciously at the same level that my pumps lose suction.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sossy to hear but at least it was just a pipe and not a hole in the liner .Last year moles chewed through my liner and it was a nightmare .

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Sossy to hear but at least it was just a pipe and not a hole in the liner .Last year moles chewed through my liner and it was a nightmare .
That must have sucked. I put a thin layer of cement in the ground around and under the liner about 6 inches under the surface to prevent that very thing from hapening and also to keep the oak trees from rooting into the ponds floor and walls

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Worst was it was Feb. and had to wait for new liner and it March I had to work around snow storms and of all things i went bigger .Went from 2500 gallons to 5000 gallons .Not fun and when you are working buy yourself it is not easy .I posted on here pic by pic of my nightmare .A couple of years before that a new neighbors dog destroyed my liner and had to rebuild then also but it was in the heat of summer .I worked most every night with spotlights to see .So I know how devastating a leak can be and also how hard it is to start over with a new pond and water and learned to always be prepare for every thing .That is why i have stock tanks on hand and extra pumps .But it is nice to hear when it is an easy fix .Now I have 2 cameras on the pond and they are on monitors in the house and i put in a low water alarm the flash's a light inside and an alarm goes off .My son installed it all while he was down here from nJ after he lost every thing to the storm Sandy and his father had a heart attack .He also put all my outlets on switch's inside the house so I can turn every thing off from inside .

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Worst was it was Feb. and had to wait for new liner and it March I had to work around snow storms and of all things i went bigger .Went from 2500 gallons to 5000 gallons .Not fun and when you are working buy yourself it is not easy .I posted on here pic by pic of my nightmare .A couple of years before that a new neighbors dog destroyed my liner and had to rebuild then also but it was in the heat of summer .I worked most every night with spotlights to see .So I know how devastating a leak can be and also how hard it is to start over with a new pond and water and learned to always be prepare for every thing .That is why i have stock tanks on hand and extra pumps .But it is nice to hear when it is an easy fix .Now I have 2 cameras on the pond and they are on monitors in the house and i put in a low water alarm the flash's a light inside and an alarm goes off .My son installed it all while he was down here from nJ after he lost every thing to the storm Sandy and his father had a heart attack .He also put all my outlets on switch's inside the house so I can turn every thing off from inside .
I know what you mean cause I did all the work by myself from digging to laying the block and pouring cement and carried the 125 rocks from the creek 800 yards away uphill to the pond on my own. I worked for 28 days straight took 2 days off and then started on the fence and 2nd pond for 15 more days straight and I was DEAD at the end.. the turtles showed their appreciation in :poop: and raising the original basking island to the ground lol but they were right cause the second one is solid as rock... well actually it is solid rock with reinforced hydro cement foundation ;)

Ask a Question