New in Planning Stage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. Thanks for allowing this newbie to join. I'm just in planning stage for a Koi pond and would love some input. I see that I need to post questions elsewhere. I'm just getting started!

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
first thing koi get huge and need more filtering and aeration .I know as my kio are over 2 feet long .Welcome to the world of ponders .I wish someone had told me about koi because I would have stuck with fat fantails ,so much easier to take care of and not as fussy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome angela123go! We are glad to have you on board. Pay close attention to what sissy suggested. Feel free to 'post away' we are happy to help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
first thing koi get huge and need more filtering and aeration .I know as my kio are over 2 feet long .Welcome to the world of ponders .I wish someone had told me about koi because I would have stuck with fat fantails ,so much easier to take care of and not as fussy

Will the Fantails survive during the winter?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1587070132497.gif
@angela123go
Shubunkins are nice looking fish also and belong to the goldfish family. They do not get huge like koi. You could have a combination of these and fantails and comet goldfish. Not sure if the fantails will like your zone 5 weather or not.

1587070235323.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! We love to help start a construction thread and post away.

Will the Fantails survive during the winter?
They survive in our weather which is zone 6b or so.

Not sure if the fantails will like your zone 5 weather or not.
lol jw she had 5 messages not her zone!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don;t think they will outside .I think they say to zone 6 at the most and even then it is iffy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, probably the most misunderstood thing or mistake made about "koi" is the size of the pond they require.

No disrespect to anyone, it happens to most of us. It happened to me when I first started 12 years ago. Hey, i wanted a cool koi pond! I didn't know any better! I didn't know those little guys would soon outgrow my (ridiculously small) 300 gallon pond. I rented a machine and built a bigger pond!

The term koi pond is thrown around society without much knowledge.

If I could do it all over, I'd do shubunkin a variety of other goldfish and forget the koi. Don't get me wrong, my butterfly koi are cool, but some of them have gotten huge! Over 2 feet huge.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I could do it all over, I'd do shubunkin a variety of other goldfish and forget the koi.
One reason I stuck with shubbies and goldfish. My pond is big enough for koi, but I wanted easy to care for fish and have plants in the pond without them being a snack to the fish. My pond system is a almost zero care system, just love it that way. I just enjoy it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yep, probably the most misunderstood thing or mistake made about "koi" is the size of the pond they require.

No disrespect to anyone, it happens to most of us. It happened to me when I first started 12 years ago. Hey, i wanted a cool koi pond! I didn't know any better! I didn't know those little guys would soon outgrow my (ridiculously small) 300 gallon pond. I rented a machine and built a bigger pond!

The term koi pond is thrown around society without much knowledge.

If I could do it all over, I'd do shubunkin a variety of other goldfish and forget the koi. Don't get me wrong, my butterfly koi are cool, but some of them have gotten huge! Over 2 feet huge.

I think it’s like calling all tissues “Kleenex” so good to know about Koi!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
They survive in our weather which is zone 6b or so. [/QUOTE said:
I live in Oklahoma. They weather can be quite severe, though we’ve had mild winters for the last couple of years. It can drop below zero.

I have a solar panel system that heats our swimming pool that I considered tapping into when I close the pool and convert over to the fish pond for some heat in the winter.

so many grand ideas! LOL

Ask a Question