New kid on the block :)

Reaction score
Hi!
My name is Sky and I live in hammond.
I would love to start a little patio pond and thought that this was the best place to start.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, Sky, and welcome to yet another LA person! In fact, there is a member here from Hammond, fishin4cars.

Well, tell us what you're looking for in a pond? Where (patio?) are you wanting to place it? Any idea of size, shape? Fish or just plants? You came to a good place for info & advice.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard Sky! Everyone, I met Sky this week at work and told him about the site. He's looking for ideas on a small patio pond and trying to stay on a small budget. I've thrown out few ideas and we were talking and I told him some of you have nice small patio ponds. I was thinking about Jason's small pond thread. I've invited him out to my house to visit and hopefully we can find a few things to help him get started. BTW, Sky is also into aquariums and Bettas, He told me about a local site and forum I had heard about but never checked out. Want to thank him as I was glad to have finally found it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome, Sky! Give us more details, as Turtle Mommy suggested. We all have ideas, but you need to get us going with what you're thinking of as far as size. And, as TM said, it makes a difference if you're looking at just for plants, or including fish. If fish, goldfish or koi? Koi require more space, but Larkin has already told you that! I envy you, getting to see Larkin's ponds in person. He will be a great source of information for you on a local level for sure.

Reaction score
What a warm welcome! :)
I'm looking for a small pond for 1 or 2 goldfish (the eggfish. It's like a ranchu but without the hood. Those are my favorite but I've never seen one in person!)
I like the fat goldfish :)
30-60 gallons
above ground
under 50 bucks.
plants are welcome.

When I can poop money, I will invest in a koi farm. lol
LOVE koi. don't have the space, as I'm in a townhome.

Like Larkin said, I'm heading over there this week. I know I'm in for a treat! I've seen a couple pictures but I'm sure it doesn't do his property justice!

Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, now we have something to work with! Would you be interested in a pre-form pond, since you said above ground, surrounded by plants in pots to hide the outside of the pre-form? Just a thought. Not sure how much room you have to work with. Some of the outer plants could be in solid buckets with water, for water plants, and that way you would have the "pond" space for the fish. Possibly have some type of filtration mini-bog to pump water into, through the plants, flow back into the pond.
Love your idea of the special fish! I really love my fantails types that I have .... butt wigglers. :)

Reaction score
Butt wigglers! lol Now I know what to call them.
I have a small fountain pump.
Maybe a one of those half barrel ponds?

I can build one if I need to. I have an idea. Ill use microsoft paint. Give me a few minutes. lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome10.gif
fishguysky
We would love to help you get started. You are starting small but before we get through in a few yrs you will have a lake and be addicted to this hobby just like the rest of us :goodnight:

Reaction score
TRUST. lol I'm already addicted. Breeding for 7 years. I'm just new to the pond scene.
Here is my idea:
It will be made out of wood and liner.
pondidea_zps26e679e8.jpg

Yalll see any issues?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice idea. I'm far from being an expert here, so will let others comment. But your history with fish-keeping will be an advantage for you.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I like that idea Sky, one thing I see is lift the pump off the bottom, I prefer at least twice as much water below the pump as a fish can swim in. That way IF something happens and a hose comes lose or a leak happens the water will only go down to the pump intake and it will still leave some water in the pond so as not to kill the fish. BTW, by your drawings you are now up to about 100 gallons, really a lot better starting pond than 50 gallons, twice as stable and twice the room for the fish.

Reaction score
I would have never thought of that. GREAT add in.
I knew that the gallonage would be a lot higher with my dimensions. I agree with the stability + there.
Can you find ANYTHING else wrong with it?

Ask a Question