new kid on the block

Reaction score
Hello all

About one month ago today I started on a trip into the world on ponds. I have been an avid salt water hobbiest for many years and i also own a small live coral farm but since we bought our new home a few months ago I have been wanting to try my hand at a pond. Thankfully my years in the reef hobby has come in quite handy for all the basics but I still have a ton to learn. I live in Stpete FL and we decided to put our pond up aganist the front of the house near the main entryway. We know it would be under shade so it would limit the types of plant life we would be able to have but it also came with some plus sides. Less algea trouble due to now direct sun light, less predetor trouble and most importantly we get to go right by it many times a day as well as any visitors.

I started by tearing up a garden bed that we litteraly just finished planting a few weeks before. I want what I want so out with the old and in with the new. or in this case out with the new and in with the newer lol.

For the pond shape I played by ear. Other then a few key points I knew I wanted I pretty much just kept digging until I had a shape I liked. Aafter that I lined the entire hole with a few layers of felt and dropped in a liner. We ended up with just under 370 gallons. Thankfully I have a water flow meter for my reef tanks so I was able to gauge exactly how much went in which will make testing and any dosing much easier.

After the water went in it was all about placing rocks and plants, moving rocks and plants, hating everything and starting over again. Rinse and repeat. I'm pretty sure there was a few man fits thrown in as well for good measure. After all, what good is a hobby if it does not frustrate you? hahaha.

For mechanical filtration I built a sealed preasurized system which I use to house a few different DIY media types and for biological I build a waterfall box as well as installed an inline uv. From reefing I have learned that keeping it simple and placing focus on building a ballanced mini eco system is far more bennifical and important then tossing chemicals into the water over and over and then wondering why nothings going right. Build smart, not complicated and things tend to go much smoother.

For pumps I have a Mag 24 running the waterfall but its choked back a fair amount and a mag18 running the filter which then outlets at the pitcher water feature. I chose these pumps for one main reason. I had them in the garage lol. The pitcher is nothing more then a planter I had in the house that I drilled out and fitted with pluming parts I had laying around.

Anyhow I would talk shop for hours. I just wanted to introduce myself and I look forward to learning all I can. I fully intend to ask lots of questions and then maybe someday I will be able to answer a few myself.

Oh dont worry I know people in these places love pics so I took a few tonight. I have alot of reworking to do such as accent rockwork and some more hiding of liner but i am quite happy with how things have been turning out. gotta plant new grass in this area cause i have detroyed it while building. wifes not happy about that part haha. Any an all comments are always welcome. Thanks again

IMG_8926.jpg

IMG_8923.jpg

IMG_8922.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
smileywelcome687.gif
to our group!

That is a beautiful pond you built, looks like it has been there forever. Love the rock work and waterfall. Neat water urn too

Reaction score
Welcome to the group, it looks great! Where did you hide your pressurized filter/uv stuff?

Thanks. The filter stuff is all on the far left buried in the ground. If you look at the far left edge of the first picture you will see a white spot under the flagstone. That's the edge of a white bucket that I have not painted yet. I buried two, One to hold the uv and any other pond related stuff I want, kinda like a storage box with a water tight screw on lid The second is a 10 gallon container that's used for beer making. Air and water tight, pressure rated for well over what I will ever give it and made of plastic So it can be buried without worry about corrosion. The pipes run underground to the water falls and the urn as well as ony extra run to the back side for circulation reasons. I was unworried I would end up with a dead spot and wanted to keep everything moving to the filter

You can see it a little bit better in this pic its one i Took with my cell while building. For access I just remove that large flag stone and do what's needed then put it back. Since its in the front entrance way to the homie I found it extremely important that no equipment shows so i built accordingly.
photobucket-1188-1342927235389.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and love what you did and I am sure you will keep tweaking it we all do .It looks fine and then you see something you want to change ,drives you crazy .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome3985.gif
Amp
Love your pretty pond right there by your entryway. I put mine right by there also and love it.

Ask a Question