New koi on the way!

Reaction score
Country
United States
so guess who just bought an entire pond, complete with 12 or more adult koi? That would be me. Now to figure out how to transfer all of it to my house! I wasn't quite ready for it, so I feel a bit rushed and anxious, but I will figure something out. The fish are currently in green water so catching them is going to be a bit of a challenge. How many adults should I fit in a 150gal stock tank? Not for long, but I need to put them somewhere until I get the liner and equipment to my house....any ideas? I do have a large bathtub....but I think the Mr won't be too keen on fish in the tub....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would not even slightly consider putting 12+ Koi in one 150 gallon stock tank.
With adequate filtration and water flow you might squeak by with maybe accommodating 3.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How did you buy an entire pond? Is it an above-ground? Or do you mean you bought all the supplies and equipment to BUILD a pond?

How big is it? Can the koi, stay where they are until the pond is ready? How long before it's ready for koi?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds move the koi out of the pond, then pull the liner move to the new location set up, then reinstall the koi. One big project, the 150 gallon tote won't be enough.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow. Do you mean you literally bought a pond out of someone's yard and you're going to bring it home in pieces? Ambitious project! But those fish are going to need a much bigger temporary home, even with filtration, sorry to say.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How many gallons is the pond they are coming from? If you've purchased the whole " kit and caboodle", make sure you keep the filter going, so it remains fully cycled .

I've put my 5 koi in my 110 gallon stock tank while I was having gravel removed from my pond's bottom. They were in it for about 2-3 hours, with aeration, and were fine. I secured a net over the top, as they'll jump when spooked.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol...in my excitement I realize I did not adequately explain. I looked at the pond today thinking I would bring home maybe one average size koi. Nope, he wants everything gone. Not only that, but for $300. How could I not? Liner, rocks, skimmer 2filters, pump, heater. It is about 10x10x2.5 where it is. I'm thinking of going a little more narrow and deeper. So I came home and the Mr kindly crunched up the shed where I planned to put a bigger pond anyway. I was thinking next spring. So....now I have to figure out where to put the fish while I dismantle the other pond. I have one stock tank and a shallow stock tank and my small pond. I do have aeration for the stock tanks, but I really don't want them to be in there for too long. My brain is going to hurt from trying to figure this out so quickly. I may have to go to an AG school and see if they have a stock tank I could borrow. Idk any other local folks with ponds either. I don't have a time limit, but he would like it to be as soon as I can so he doesn't have to mess with the pond anymore. Did I mention it is green as can be? Don't know how I am even going to catch them all.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Rubbermaid isn't the tote...it is the big black stock tank. I may go pick up some inexpensive totes though. That might work for short term. Tomorrow will be devoted to digging a hole. I didn't have anything planned out, since the shed was still in the way. Luckily the Mr still has his dad's backhoe in the yard, but it is still going to be some heavy labor!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The Rubbermaid isn't the tote...it is the big black stock tank. I may go pick up some inexpensive totes though. That might work for short term. Tomorrow will be devoted to digging a hole. I didn't have anything planned out, since the shed was still in the way. Luckily the Mr still has his dad's backhoe in the yard, but it is still going to be some heavy labor!
Go for it!

Reaction score
If I was doing it I would dig a new pond install a NEW liner then move the fish and filters and everything else. the fish would be perfectly happy without the rocks or heater and the rest of the stuff. They could even get buy without the filter for a while.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I was doing it I would dig a new pond install a NEW liner then move the fish and filters and everything else. the fish would be perfectly happy without the rocks or heater and the rest of the stuff. They could even get buy without the filter for a while.
I agree and started to say same, but I think there was an issue with a storage building currently in the way, and it would have taken too long [with the change of seasons fast approaching] to deal with it at this time. So, sounds like THIS pond IS the temp one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The shed is in a crumpled heap out of the way (you don't know how long I have wanted that to happen anyway!). I anticipated having all fall to sit, envision, and plan what I wanted...so now I have to think faster! They don't have to be moved immediately, but I think he would like to have them gone by the end of fall so he doesn't have to deal with winterizing and caring for them. I may have the Mr dig a shallower spot and get a tarp, like I currently use for my small pond. And I will get them set up in that at first while I move the other liner and pumps and such and get the spot where I ultimately want them dug and situated. It will be interesting to see how this actually works. I have netting to keep them from jumping out of a shallower hole. I think the hard part will be catching the fish where they currently are. He has no idea how many there are total. He thinks there are several younger ones. So, break time is over...better get out there and start humping shed pieces out of the way and setting up for the Mr to dig. He prefers to have a plan all laid out. Lol....that is not really how I work. Pics will happen at some point.

Ask a Question