New Koi owner- help needed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! We believe we have a koi with swim bladder disease and I have been reading up on treatment and peas seem to be the best option. My only concern is it’s winter (and freezing!) and we were told not to feed them in winter. However I noticed one “laying” on its side. Is it safe to feed the peas in the winter or no? Or are there any other options I have at this time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some koi do not tolerate cold very well. Lying on their side can be a symptom. If you can bring the fish inside and keep it warmer than the pond, it could recover and be fine. It can be returned to the pond in spring when things heat back up.

However, that fish will likely always need to be in a warm environment in subsequent winters and will need to be kept indoors, or in a heated pond.

There could be other reasons, like poor water quality or a health problem with that fish. But cold intolerance is the first thing that came to mind.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1644206784339.gif
@149PinePond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How big and deep is your pond and what state are you in.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Welcome! agree with others, more info would be helpful. do you have any other reason to believe it is swim bladder other than laying on its side?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
with swim bladder issues, the fish is usually upside down or vertical. Laying on its side is probably a sign of stress, weakness, or other disease. At least, that's been my experience.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
with swim bladder issues, the fish is usually upside down or vertical. Laying on its side is probably a sign of stress, weakness, or other disease. At least, that's been my experience.
Reminds me of a certain king I know who acts like that when he's had to many drinky poo's.

Back to reality tho...............I've had fish act like that and it doesn't usually end very well for them, I'm sad to say :(

Ask a Question