New Koi pond build...any assistance?

Reaction score
Country
United States

1. Angelo2626
    us.png

I've recently started renovating an old in ground cement pond I found in my yard buried under dirt rocks weeds melon patch etc. it was a heart shaped pond but after 2 winters kept cracking and leaking so I decided to rebuild it, it's 2' deep currently and I'm going to build it up with 4x4 timbers another 2' for a total of 48". I plan to dig out the dirt portion and add a four inch bottom drain which willgravity feed into a 55gallon drum which will be used for a settlement tank. Waterwill then be pumped into 8'x3'x12-15" deep bog which will stream/waterfall 3-4' back into main Koi pond. Pond will be pentagon shaped with average width being 11' across....
    image-jpeg.90307

Angelo2626, 47 minutes agoEditDeleteReport
    #23Reply

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sounds like a big job you have planned for your summer ,but remember make a budget and stick to it ,going over it by a little is OK but a lot can be really bad .Hope you have some help :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
sounds like a big job you have planned for your summer ,but remember make a budget and stick to it ,going over it by a little is OK but a lot can be really bad .Hope you have some help :)
I'll post another pic when I get home later, I've been doing a little at a time. Things always go a lot faster in your head than in reality but I'm anxious to get it going. As far a budget you start reading others post and seeing everyone's pond and things start increasing, budget blown!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have rebuilt my pond 4 times ,but first one does not count since it was a preformed until i finished the front porch build .I had a budget each time but stayed in that budget .But this last time my sons gave me the gift of new pumps and a new aerator .I knew I had children for a reason :)The one lives in NJ and the other one lives here

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll post another pic when I get home later, I've been doing a little at a time. Things always go a lot faster in your head than in reality but I'm anxious to get it going. As far a budget you start reading others post and seeing everyone's pond and things start increasing, budget blown!!
I just bought another pump and filter.... I started with a budget of like $200....
I will probably spend that on tubing for my new pump and filter... which cost about $500... LOL
I feel you!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use sump pump hose 10 dollars and over 10 years old ,went from pond to pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I never used the adapters that came with the hose the hose fit perfectly on my laguana with a hose clamp

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sump pump hose huh? I guess I'll be trying that as well, especially if you say it lasted 20years

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have stepped on it during my rebuilds and generally abused it .It comes in 25 foot sections and you must cut between the smooth parts .I use pvc pipe to extend some of it that i cut for the old pond .I even used it to make the spitter in my waterfall with pvc .my ideas are strange but I found they work

Attachments

• sump pump hose connected in pond 001.JPG
    sump pump hose connected in pond 001.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 280
  • sump pump hose connected in pond 004.JPG
    sump pump hose connected in pond 004.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 273
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have stepped on it during my rebuilds and generally abused it .It comes in 25 foot sections and you must cut between the smooth parts .I use pvc pipe to extend some of it that i cut for the old pond .I even used it to make the spitter in my waterfall with pvc .my ideas are strange but I found they work
Do you think it will hold up if buried (dirt)?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have rebuilt my pond 4 times ,but first one does not count since it was a preformed until i finished the front porch build .I had a budget each time but stayed in that budget .But this last time my sons gave me the gift of new pumps and a new aerator .I knew I had children for a reason :)The one lives in NJ and the other one lives here
Wow four rebuilds! You're a worker, heaving dirt and rock around is no picnic and what a great gift that frees up the budget nicely

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't think it can be buried it is not rigid enough .I have mine run along side of the inside edge of my pond.I had a dog destroy my liner and then moles chewed my liner and each time I went bigger preformed was 250 gallons and then went to 1500 gallons and then 2500 gallons and now 5000 gallons,believe those liners do not get lighter and no one to help so it is a big task .That is what you get when you did not know about how large koi get .No one told me .Built my first pond with my dad at 10 years old and helped him take care of it until I lost both of them .I was 30 years old and now a young 62 years old :);)if you know what I mean .:ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question