New Koi Pond Build apox 8'x12'

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also because of rain and worrying about washing my shelf out i tried not to dig at the actual edges yet untill I get my line
A very wise call.
Also installing hay and or placing a blue tarp in the pond much like it was the liner can go a long way. Rock can disappear very quickly. What looks like a lot of rock usualy doesn't go half as far as we would like. And stacking rocks to a height of 5 feet and making sure they are 100% secure and stable so they don't fall onto someone who may be in the pond and hold them under is a real concern. I wish I was at your stage again I enjoyed every minute.
Good luck

Reaction score
Country
United States
A very wise call.
Also installing hay and or placing a blue tarp in the pond much like it was the liner can go a long way. Rock can disappear very quickly. What looks like a lot of rock usualy doesn't go half as far as we would like. And stacking rocks to a height of 5 feet and making sure they are 100% secure and stable so they don't fall onto someone who may be in the pond and hold them under is a real concern. I wish I was at your stage again I enjoyed every minute.
Good luck
Thanks I know it's going to take a lot more rock than I have. I will be making several trips to get more rocks I at least was thinking it would take 10 trips. For the walls at 5ft I was planing to stack the boulders which are aprox 12in diameter and some larger some smaller mixed placing gravel and foam behind and in between to lock them in and just stacking them so they are not able to fall forward saw a video from the pond guy hopefully they will stay in place. I calculated aprox 5 boulders high so I think it will work just need lots more of them. Here are some update pictures finally reached 5ft deep its not real wide when I get the rocks in so i'm trying to see if I can dig more on the left to widen it. I wish I could dig more to the right but I put in some electrical lines to an outlet a few years ago and its in my way now. I need to redo my patios gazebo hanging garden whatever it's called as the wood is rotting so I will probably move it over and make more space for the pond. I know it's not the way most people work but I am very methodical and I am just trying to get the beginning of my falls laid out the rest will come together after the liner is in place. In the first picture you can see the large rock that will sit in front of the brick framing the flat rock on the right its very heavy so I will wait till I have my liner in place. Also removed a really huge rock best way if you don't have a backhoe is to roll it up onto a stack of bricks and then the other way onto a higher stack of bricks until it is out of your hole. Lots of work but I'm enjoying it.

Attachments

• Photo Aug 29, 4 20 59 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 29, 4 20 59 PM.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Photo Sep 17, 6 25 27 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 17, 6 25 27 PM.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 84
  • Photo Sep 17, 6 25 38 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 17, 6 25 38 PM.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Photo Sep 17, 6 25 44 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 17, 6 25 44 PM.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Photo Sep 17, 6 25 46 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 17, 6 25 46 PM.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Photo Sep 17, 6 25 56 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 17, 6 25 56 PM.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Photo Sep 17, 6 26 54 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 17, 6 26 54 PM.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 85
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For the walls at 5 ft I was planning to stack the boulders which are approx 12 in diameter and some larger some smaller mixed placing gravel and foam behind and in between to lock them in and just stacking them so they are not able to fall forward saw a video from the pond guy hopefully they will stay in place.
This sounds similar to my build. The drop from the top edge of the lowest rock of the waterfall to the pond bottom is probably in the range of 4-5 ft. As my location has very sandy soil, I first put a vertical stack of cinder block under the waterfall to hold the sand in place while rocking in the pond. I angled it just slightly back to try to prevent any potential forward movement. The liner went on top of the blocks (covering the face) and the rocks I then placed in front of that. I tried to place the largest rocks at the bottom of the pond as I worked my way up, though I did save a rather big one for just beneath the waterfall to give sort of a sheer face effect. Once I had all the rock work done, I did use some foam in the larger gaps to try to lock things in a little better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would lean toward mortar and concrete on that 5 foot wall. With the round boulders they are hard to lock in where someone climbing up it in the pond couldn't weaken it. Some would say the concrete will change the ph to much but I feel thats only in the beginning untill the crete has been submerged a while.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This sounds similar to my build. The drop from the top edge of the lowest rock of the waterfall to the pond bottom is probably in the range of 4-5 ft. As my location has very sandy soil, I first put a vertical stack of cinder block under the waterfall to hold the sand in place while rocking in the pond. I angled it just slightly back to try to prevent any potential forward movement. The liner went on top of the blocks (covering the face) and the rocks I then placed in front of that. I tried to place the largest rocks at the bottom of the pond as I worked my way up, though I did save a rather big one for just beneath the waterfall to give sort of a sheer face effect. Once I had all the rock work done, I did use some foam in the larger gaps to try to lock things in a little better.
Do you have any pictures of your pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can find a 5 and a half foot wall build at the blue link at the bottom of this post starting around page 4 or 5 I think it was

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have any pictures of your pond?
In the picture below, the waterfall enters the pond above the rocks at the top of the image. The light that's resting on the top of the rocks was eventually placed at the bottom of the waterfall to illuminate it from below. You can see that I tried to use larger rocks in that section and angled them back ever so slightly. I hope to post some new pics of the finished build soon. I had some annoying leaks in the waterfall that I had to track down.

pond_rocking_3.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Jg you didn't use any fabric behind some of those rocks? It appears to be some good points on some of them . Even if your don't plan to swim in the pond sooner or latter you'll be in it rippingbout plants or who knows why a cleaning etc. While epdm is very versatile and strong in other regards its rather weak where it cuts and tears very easy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm not very gentle with things , including text and words I guess . I know fabric for myself was best hopefully you'll be fine. just keep in mind when you do get in to do so with caution . When I was a general contractor I saw time and time again nails poking through tge rubber yet no leaks .

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the picture below, the waterfall enters the pond above the rocks at the top of the image. The light that's resting on the top of the rocks was eventually placed at the bottom of the waterfall to illuminate it from below. You can see that I tried to use larger rocks in that section and angled them back ever so slightly. I hope to post some new pics of the finished build soon. I had some annoying leaks in the waterfall that I had to track down.

View attachment 134012
Looks very nice so far can't wait to see it finished. more of a stacked stone look and should have no problems falling where my walls will have rather large boulders 10" - 12" but am trying to collect some smaller sizes for variety and and some really small rock to fill in the voids. I may try sloping my walls just slightly but im not sure yet. I know most people especially without heavy equipment don't attempt getting large rocks but just don't feel it would look right without. Here are some more rock I got this last weekend.

Attachments

• Photo Sep 22, 3 28 45 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 22, 3 28 45 PM.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Photo Sep 22, 3 29 33 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 22, 3 29 33 PM.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 96
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you can always use fabric to create a sling and two people can the work the boulders into place. Or better yet go to the depot and rent an excavator THAT ALSO HAS A THUMB.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did use some underlayment in a few spots, but not many. We shall see how it holds up.
The first pond I had there was no underlayment and in the bottom I had a smooth brick under the liner and a flat rock on top of the liner which would rock slightly back and forth It was only until I took everything apart to build this new pond that I discovered a hole in the liner. I guess from walking on that stone it wore a hole as it rubbed the brick and I realized why my pond was leaking. Why I had done it this way is beyond me I know now what I did wrong. This time I will be using an underlayment but also puting some on top of the liner under large heavy or sharp rocks. Better to do it right the first time I think than to have costly issues later. But I think your probably OK I had some similar rocks in my pond and had no issues just that liner in between the two stone and brick.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone I know it's been a while since I last posted about my koi pond. Things were going good for me in 2020 I was able to get paid well until the last few months when my pay decreased. I stopped working on my pond for almost 1 year thinking it was a dead project. But thankfully I got my finances figured out and I started back up again at the end of 2021. I just cemented my project by purchasing a huge pond kit and now my already ambitious project with the split waterfall now has a bog and a stream coming into my pond. I have always wanted a bridge of some sort not sure what yet but boy will it be cool when finished. I think it will still take me a while to get finished I have lots of digging to do in my pond still and I am trying to figure out how my stream will enter my pond. I have a few neat rocks I found in the woods that I decided to make some stairs going into the pond, not that I needed any but I couldn't resist. My dad and I were out getting rocks and one of the large flat stair stones I thought I could maneuver closer to my truck but I couldn't get leverage on it as there was a rock just in front of the bottom. As I was trying to roll it forward it started to tip to one side and rolled back on my toe, I almost fell backward but thankfully there was a rock behind me that I just sat down on. I hollered to my dad the rock is on my toe the rock is on my toe and he was just thinking it was a joke or something but then he ran over and moved the rock forward off my toe and said that's why you wait for me with the big rocks. My toe did not suffer much just was sore for a while and maybe a scrape on my foot. Until next time Enjoy!

Attachments

• 138 Mar 01, 4 02 16 PM.jpg
    138 Mar 01, 4 02 16 PM.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 143 Mar 01, 4 22 53 PM.jpg
    143 Mar 01, 4 22 53 PM.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 39
  • 142 Mar 01, 4 22 41 PM.jpg
    142 Mar 01, 4 22 41 PM.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 140 Mar 01, 4 03 06 PM.jpg
    140 Mar 01, 4 03 06 PM.jpg