New Koi pond build (pre-planning) - help needed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! Been away from here for a bit but am having fun catching up with all the posts! We actually moved house (into rented accomodation for next 6 months to a year) so i no longer have my pond - which i'm taking harder than i thought i would!!! So i'm already thinking about what i'm wanting to build when we eventually buy a house again - i'm looking at going down the Koi route this time so was after any help you guys can offer or places you can refer me for information!

The main areas i am looking for help on is with the filtering/pumping etc - there are a million ways to do this online but thought id get the point of view from pond owners here! I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any books that i could buy for some evening reading as i'm struggling to get to grips with all the terminology for all the components and the differences between each type of filter - inlet/outlet/return/valves/bottom drain/jets/skimmer/UV filter - i'm just looking to get my head around eveything properly before i build and make a mistake!!

I think size wise i'm looking at something like 2m x 4m x 1m-1.5m deep (6.5ft x 13ft x 4ft-5ft deep) traditional rectangular type shape, but i would love a window in it so that i can set a patio area next to it to see whats going on in there! Size is a guestimate at the moment as i have no idea where we are moving to - or when!! lol

Any help/comment appreciated, cheers!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome back! So you are thinking raised pond? Since you haven't moved yet, consider in ground pond. Who knows, you may find a house that has a pond already! I have raised ponds and am now having issues with a 10x10x5.5 pond with walls bowing out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome back! So you are thinking raised pond? Since you haven't moved yet, consider in ground pond. Who knows, you may find a house that has a pond already! I have raised ponds and am now having issues with a 10x10x5.5 pond with walls bowing out.

Hi! I'm thinking of probably a couple of feet about ground and the rest below - enough height for people to sit on, which is why i'm after a window in it aswell as it will look amazing! I was thinking of a concrete slab base with reinforcement and then solid concrete blocks laid on their flat side for extra stength (my dad is an ex builder so should be able to get roped into helping!! lol)

If i do it at ground level then it will become a doggy swimming pool! (we have three of them!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I wish I did know of a good book to suggest. With koi , filtration is a priority. Research both mechanical and biological filtration. Will you be doing DIY filters, or looking to buy something?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
If you want some good fun, go on YouTube and watch Eric Triplett's (The Pond Digger) video how to series on How To Build A Koi Pond. It is wonderful and entertaining and extremely informative. Although you are doing above ground, there will surely be some information that could be helpful. He has lots of other video tutorials too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I did know of a good book to suggest. With koi , filtration is a priority. Research both mechanical and biological filtration. Will you be doing DIY filters, or looking to buy something?

I was looking to buy something as i dont think im experienced enough to DIY one! I've spent hours watching Youtube videos etc and it amazes me what some people think is a "good job" when theyve done it themselves, lol! I'd rather have to much filtration so have been looking at various bio & mech combinations - good job we are not buying a new house for a while as i think i'm going to need to start saving!! lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United Kingdom
If you want some good fun, go on YouTube and watch Eric Triplett's (The Pond Digger) video how to series on How To Build A Koi Pond. It is wonderful and entertaining and extremely informative. Although you are doing above ground, there will surely be some information that could be helpful. He has lots of other video tutorials too.

Lol - Pond Digger is one of my favourites on there, the guy is a fountain of knowledge! The problem i have now is that i am addicted to watching Youtube videos of pond building My wife is getting jealous of how much time i'm spending on there!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United Kingdom
good to hear you are going block. With the dogs, good idea to go above ground.

Yeah, I think so - hoping to try an build it as "sitting level" above ground and maybe do something fancy with the viewing window - time will tell (and cost!!!) but for now i have some amazing ideas about the pond shape/size etc, i just need to get my head around the filtration!

Ask a Question