New Koi Pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm going to be developing a large new environment for Koi very soon, I have actually already started, construction is going well and I'm thinking forward to when its ready for fish.

Two things are niggling at me at the moment, first of all protection of the fish. I have used nets in the past many times but I was wondering if anyone had any effective tips that seem to keep the fish protected?

Secondly is food, I am planning to fill the finished pond with young Koi and don't really know what's best to feed them, the growth sticks I've looked at (http://www.cherry-lane.co.uk/products/aquatics) seem like they would be great. But can you give these to very young Koi?

Thanks in advance everyone!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Koi will eat just about anything but to keep them healthy they just need a good vitamin food .Also remember do not get to many as they will have lots of babies .I also use koi clay because the minerals in it they need.It also buffers the water and keeps it clear

Attachments

• koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 045.JPG
    koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 045.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 236
  • koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 046.JPG
    koi clay and pond leak and hose to pond 046.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 292

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Get small enough koi pellets for there mouths,other then that feeding koi is pretty easy. Overfeeding the finned pigs is even easier!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Brilliant thank you all for great advice! I didn't think about how many young Koi have so that's certainly something else to think about!

Ask a Question