New koi . Post pics of your new koi!!

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Photography' started by Johnocch, May 19, 2015.

1. Johnocch

Johnocch

Newest members

Attached Files:

Johnocch, May 19, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Johnocch

RobAmy

Nice looking fish

RobAmy, May 19, 2015
    Johnocch likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Johnocch

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Don't have any koi, but nice fish you have

addy1, May 19, 2015
  4. Johnocch

Johnocch

Thank you addy I'm searching for a red koi. That is all I want left loll

Johnocch, May 19, 2015
  5. Johnocch

Johnocch

Thanks rob your pond is very nice as well.trying to hand feed give me a week there still a little shy

Johnocch, May 19, 2015
  6. Johnocch

Tula

Pretty fish :)

Tula, May 20, 2015
    Johnocch likes this.
  7. Johnocch

ZmanArt007 Fish Keeper and Filmmaker

Red is one of the hardest colors to find cheap in koi without ordering them because most store-bought koi are poorer quality. The poorer quality or more mix-breed the fish, the more orange the red will appear. At least, that's how I understand it. That white and reddish one looks pretty good though. When it grows larger, the red might "stretch out" into more of an orange though.

ZmanArt007, May 20, 2015
  8. Johnocch

Johnocch

That's what I thought, when I saw that one. Thank you I'm getting really picky now with the koi

Johnocch, May 20, 2015
  9. Johnocch

Marlee Clark

Orange and white, pretty, but no name yet. I'll try to get some better shots later today. The baby I just got is soon cute, it shall be called goldynose. Yellow nose and stripe down its back...it's about 3-5" long. Looks like B2 is in this shot too, he is hard to see most of the time

Attached Files:

Marlee Clark, Aug 27, 2015
  10. Johnocch

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Ahh, they look like their stuck inside on a rainy day....!

Just kidding -- nice!

Mmathis, Aug 27, 2015
  11. Johnocch

Dave 54

Looks lik you have an Asagi and a Kujaku in that photo @Marlee Clark the darker one with the red or orange underside is the asagi

Dave

Dave 54, Aug 27, 2015
  12. Johnocch

Marlee Clark

Two of the three we added yesterday. Butterfly...beautiful. One is Rusty, the other Deville. I'm going to have to start writing them all down soon.

Attached Files:

Marlee Clark, Aug 29, 2015
  13. Johnocch

Nice looking

addy1, Aug 29, 2015
  14. Johnocch

Marlee Clark

Fish are all transferred. Whew! The Mr borrowed a seine net to catch them...got all but three of this years fry. One looks like a white scaleless, one is a bronze color, one is blue and orange, one has red looking spots, one more butterfly, about 9 fry total...and two frogs. We carted home two truckloads of rocks with many more loads of rocks to go. Rocks have to be moved before I can even get to the liner. I brought home the filter and pump, cleaned them out and have them running in the big pond, which looks terrible right now. I'm going to get some simply clear or some clarifier when I am across the bridge on Tuesday, after work. Oh, and a snake bit my sons toe while I was taking one load back to the house. He is okay, the snake...not so much. I have a frog in each body of water now.

Marlee Clark, Aug 30, 2015
  15. Johnocch

One ton of work you are doing. What kind of snake bit his toe? watch for infections.

You are getting one great amount of rocks, saving a lot of pennies.

addy1, Sep 1, 2015
  16. Johnocch

Marlee Clark

Garter snake, he seems to be okay. Thank you. Yea, the rocks are awesome! There are even a number of excellent grade cobblestone. The larger rocks are going to be a bear to transfer, but the husband says he will do it. I am soooooo spoiled! I just realized I accidentally hijacked someone else's thread. That's what I get for not reading the title closely! I have been working the past two days or I would be posting pics of the new fish. They are beautiful.

Marlee Clark, Sep 1, 2015
    addy1 likes this.
  17. Johnocch

Glad he is ok, and just a garter snake. Good rock hauling hubby!

addy1, Sep 2, 2015
  18. Johnocch

Jersey_Marine

Any updated pics of the pond?

Jersey_Marine, Sep 11, 2015
  19. Johnocch

Marlee Clark

Well...there was a major catastrophe with the temporary pond with the huge storm we received last week. Spent this week recovering. The water got behind the liner and pulled rocks and filter and everything into the pond. I was able to keep the water in the pond and all 22 fish survived. I housed them in various other containers and they also survived that ordeal...for the most part. I re homed 6 of the fry koi, then came home to two of the four I wanted to keep having jumped out (under the netting, I might add) and I barely saw the third but I got him back in the water and he is doing okay. So, now I have 12 large koi, one of which broke a fin in all the thrashing about...but it already looks like it is growing back...and two babies. My wonderful husband redug a hole, and we were able to move it a little farther from the water problem area and he buried a drainage pipe in that area as well, so future deluges should not be a problem...let's hope. 8 of the large koi are enjoying their new pond, one is still in quarantine for what looked like ulcers ( I wanted to catch it anyway to treat the sores) and the babies are still in a container. There are three koi in the shebunkin pond...I just don't feel like trying to catch them and stressing them out right now...they seem happy at the moment.

What did I learn? Don't take on more than you can handle. I thought I had prepared for rain, but I didn't prepare for the torrents that came down. I was able to practice resiliency...lol. And patience. Lots of patience. Now I am back to toting rocks and moving dirt...again. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

Marlee Clark, Sep 15, 2015
    tbendl likes this.
  20. Johnocch

Marlee Clark

Here are the eight koi that are swimming contentedly in the newly dug pond. Let me just say, wrestling the tarp, the padding, and the liner into place was a real bear by myself! The rest of the family had gone out to eat....lol. Fish names are; India, Monte, Deville, Zippy, Rorshact (Rory), Bonnie, Rusty, and B2 (we had a Blu before....so he was B1...lol). The three orange, black and white butterflies are named for our high school...Montville Indians...what are school colors...orange black and white of course! I don't have pics of the three in the shebunkin pond...they are Betty, Rocky, and Penny. Also not pictured is Cindy Crawford and the two babies. A friend of mine laughed at me for having names for so many fish...I love naming them!

Attached Files:

Marlee Clark, Sep 16, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question