New Koi

Reaction score
Since I lost a fish in my old pond and the volume of my new pond is like 70% bigger than I figured I ordered some fish online last night. Got 5 butterflies and 10 more regular fin koi. Just before I checked out though my wife said, "When are you going to order your black koi?" I said, "What are you talking about, I don't want black koi."
"But every pond has to have 1 black koi, it's for good luck!"

So for anyone still doubting whether she loves the pond or not, she's been researching koi ponds and has learned that every pond needs 1 black koi for good luck.

So I added a black koi to my shopping cart, and then she chimed in with "Oooh platinum ogons are pretty, are you buying one of those? It could be my fish."

LOL

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, yep she's hooked. You'll enjoy the black Koi. They are hard to see if solid black, I prefer one with some marking like white edged fins or a small amout of head markings. They seem to have a mystery to them, I don't know about the Good luck though. Seems like every time I get a black koi I really like something happens. Knock on wood the one we have now is doing really good and she's the #1 koi of choice in the pond.

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 286
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 327
  • barn and koi 030.JPG
    barn and koi 030.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 292
Reaction score
My wife said it has to be pure black to bring good luck, because I found an AWESOME black one with really dark gold fins and she said that was no good. I'm sure this is just some tradition brought over from Japan, but it's kind of fun to play along.

Reaction score
But as far as your bad luck goes Sissy, that's a whole lot of white on his head. I mean, the good luck gods might allow a little white on the fins, but the one in your pictures is definitely what I would call black AND white, not just black. I bet if you buy an all black one you'll never have another fish die. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm sitting here laughing buck and I'm glad your wife has come around to see the fun of ponding :razz:

Reaction score
I figured she'd come around, but it's only been six weeks since she saw the 22 foot long outline on the grass of what I wanted to dig and she said "Are you insane? You said a SMALL pond!"

All it took was to put the water in, once she saw that the horrible hole was replaced with something awesome.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My husband was the same way Buckry. He couldn't see the vision in "my head". LOL But each night when we sit and watch the fish or listen to the waterfall, he is amazed at how beautiful it is. This ponding is very addictive and also very satisfying. I love it!

Reaction score
my wife says stuff like so what's next when you're done tinkering and trying to fine tune? you gonna expand and try and use the whole yard...gotta love it when a spouse or partner leaves the door open like that, not that i would try to use the whole yard...lol

Reaction score
Fishin, your fish are beautiful! Love the black one! I have a black one, he's still small and I hardly ever see him lol. But so far I've had luck, so it's working!! Also, your butterflies are lovely. My yellow butterflies fins are not that long yet but they're getting there :)

Reaction score
The black Koi isn't really good luck. The Japanese believe that an all black Koi will absorb the BAD luck. It's almost exactly like their cricket in a cage/box superstition.

Ask a Question