New large pond, low ph and algae problems..

Reaction score
Country
United States
We recently built a large 1/4 acre pond in our yard. We lined the walls with limestone boulders. After 3 months or so, in the heat of summer we had our first string algae bloom and it’s pretty big. I did a water quality check and our ph is near 5, ammonia and phosphate around .25ppm, and nitrites are zero. We have been putting in beneficial bacteria and muck remover but maybe not enough for a large pond especially being a new pond. Water clarity is pretty good outside the string algae. My questions are what do we do from here? I’ve ordered granular algacide, plan is to treat and remove algae. Then to really boost the beneficial bacteria dosing. The problems with that are the doses are hard to figure out for larger ponds and I’m not confident multiplying the doses simply based on gallons and dumping in $500 of bacteria per dose. Also, I’m not sure why our ph is so low, maybe from the limestone? I don’t know our exact pond size but I’d guess somewhere near 60000 gallons. Goal for the pond is to want to swim in it and snorkel with the local fish and turtles.

Attachments

• CEFACF54-BF30-4D91-9C73-82FD8DEC2D42.jpeg
    CEFACF54-BF30-4D91-9C73-82FD8DEC2D42.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 43
  • E699BD9E-21F7-42A9-8040-8DE29CB645C5.jpeg
    E699BD9E-21F7-42A9-8040-8DE29CB645C5.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 1430B16C-4A14-4DA1-949B-C6A5D96D6AA6.jpeg
    1430B16C-4A14-4DA1-949B-C6A5D96D6AA6.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
well a snapping turtle is good though they'd swim in areas no human would. I think your going about it wrong. forget the chemicals though seeding can't hurt. Rain water will drop your ph in a big way.
This is a liner pond ?
aeration and fountains and time is how i see ponds that size control algae . and by aeration i mean in a big way look up pond aeration per depth a distance .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Another issue i just thought of is the run off, it would appear there's at least one area ON THE RIGHT WITH THE SLOPING HILL that you have a good deal of rain run off getting in the pond

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Second @GBBUDD’s recommendations, more water movement, no chemicals, check on run off into the pond, skip adding ”beneficial bacteria” as most of the offered products are just full of a food source for bacteria (carbon) and have very little in the way of beneficial bacteria. There are a few products out there that truly do have beneficial bacteria like fritz-zyme, and nualgae.

Also, limestone will raise your ph overtime, not lower it, rainwater as was said will lower it as can your tap water depending on its ph.

Your pond while large, I would also go about this issue by adding tons of plants (I see none in there) to it to starve out the algae, along with more water movement. And by a lot of plants I mean for your size pond, I would be spending a couple thousand dollars on plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
No algecides please.
If you have fish, it might kill them.
If your pond is exclusively for swimming, fine. Add all the chemicals you want.

Don't waste your money on beneficial bacteria that your pond will make naturally.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another issue i just thought of is the run off, it would appear there's at least one area ON THE RIGHT WITH THE SLOPING HILL that you have a good deal of rain run off getting in the pond

Thanks for the replies! It is a lined pond. The pond is filled from rainwater collection, its basically a drainage easement that overflows in the creek on property. Water levels are maintained by pumping from the nearby spring fed creek when it drops from the heat. We know its going to be a constant battle after every rain to rebuild clarity but we are willing to try.

Regarding aeration we have 3 bubbling aerators across the pond.

Regarding plants, we have a few planted but they are all very immature being a new pond. No bog filtration either which I wanted when we built but the builder cut it from scope. Id think we need a lot of it to make a dent, say roughly 750sqft (25% of pond surface).

Regarding circulation, we have 2 creeks on different ends with waterfalls, the 3 aeration bubblers, and a waterfall in the center. 4 total pumps, 10000gph each fwiw.

We are adding lillies to reduce the sun exposure and temperatures. Already have some (maybe 100sqft of coverage).

Regarding bacteria, the ones we bought were ponds guys muck away and pond clear.

Should we just expect to deal with this the first season? We didnt have string algae prior to the rebuild when it was mud bottom but the pond was brown all the time and lost water constantly. What, if anything can I do to help the pond get established? We did stock catfish to eat stuff off the bottom, they are tiny thus far and unsure if it will actually help

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It takes time for any body of water to right its self . My pond is by no means as large as your but it still took a year for it and me to get established with each other. If you use fertilizers on the property I strongly suggest avoiding to use them close to the pond.
Heck of a project time and mother nature will do the rest

Ask a Question